Share this page:

Gilly, a man and a legend

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
sneaky beaky
Celebrity Member
Celebrity Member

#16 Post by sneaky beaky » Fri 29 Oct, 2004 6:29 pm

I've known Gilbert Rex for some 45 years. He has never once told me how he earned his DSM. (Or his MM if it comes to that). Mind you, I didn't really dare to ask him in my early days!! Even later when we became good friends, the subject never came up. He never boasted about anything - and he truly had a lot to boast about. It was not his style. His style was "The Present", i.e. how can we best do the job in hand?
A truly remarkable man. He has guided a lot of us "younger" guys through difficult situations.
Sneaky
Former RM of 23 years.

Advertise your company or services here and contact us today!

Gunter

Re: Gilly, a man and a legend

#17 Post by Gunter » Wed 15 Jul, 2015 1:52 am

not sure whether this thread is still active - but I knew Gillie Howe in the 1970's -80's
when I shot at Bisley and became a member of the Int'l Long Range Pistol Association which I believe Gillie started.

I used a S&W Mod 29 in .44 Mag with an 8 3/8" barrel with an added long eye relief pistol scope (put on by Gillie).

For a short time I was the European Agent for Kengill Pistols
The name Kengill was derived from KEN pratley and GILLie howe and were first made, as far as I remember, in late 1979 or early 1980.

The Kengill was made in 30-30 Win and was a single-shot pistol with a 12" barrel
also, a Kengill auto-pistol was on offer in a wildcat caliber: 9.5x36
the 9.5mm bullet swaged from a .357 and the case formed from a shortened .308 case

I test fired both guns somewhere on the south coast (near Weymouth?) in 1980 and wrote an article for a German gun magazine on these two guns at the time.

Gillie was a good friend and he told some (very few!) stories about his exploits - mainly, if I remember correctly, having to do with the 'round the island' canoe race.

Unfortunately I lost contact a few years later when I moved to the US of A
I have not been able to make contact since and by now, getting long in the tooth myself, I fear it may be too late.

Best regards from Kent
Gunter

Gunter

Re: Gilly, a man and a legend

#18 Post by Gunter » Wed 03 May, 2017 5:44 pm

just found this thread again - seems to be dead...

anyone know whether Ken or Gillie are still around?
getting very long in the tooth myself & no longer able to easily travel to Bisley from Kent -
so would be nice to hear from someone who perhaps has some info.

Best regards from Rochester
Gunter