Share This Page:

Military Gaol/ Colchester

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Boxingmad

Military Gaol/ Colchester

Post by Boxingmad »

Is the military prison still in Colchester? When you do your time, is it basically just being beasted as in early recruit training?

How long do you get for minor misdemenours, like fighting for example?

What's the longest one stays there?
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Boxing Mad, why do you need to know, are you in trouble? :o

It's just the same a s civilain prison but run by Military screw's so you do drill and Military courses instead of wondering round the exercise yard and so on, I had a mate who did a couple of yrs there and he came out a far more qualified Soldier than me after 2 yrs and he was up for promotion not long after....

8)
"Every man an Emperor!"
stever

Post by stever »

there was a series on tv recently

it may get repeated on uk horizons

ive had a few mates vist colchester

never done them any harm

in fact in some cases it kick started careers
"Once a Rockape Always a Rockape"
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/camsig0qi.jpg[/img][/url]
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

:) Oh no, not at all! In fact it leads onto another question I have. I'm joining the TA next month, and I assume that as we come under military law, if we commit an offence, we could be paying a visit.

Remember: knowledge is power, unless you forget it.
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

It's not something I'd recomend mind.... :-?

And to answer BM question, you only get time at Colchester for major offences as your CO can slam you in Regimental Nick for up to 28 days and you don't get paid whilst in nick and your time served is put on hold 8)
"Every man an Emperor!"
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

If you were in the TA and commited a civilian offence, and the civvy police arrested you, they wouldn't hand you over to MP's, you would be punished by the civvy authorities.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

What I'm getting at is if the offence is commited whilst on duty.
Remember, knowledge is power, unless you forget it all.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Then you'll probably be beasted at best, or put into the regimental nick at worst. As far as I know, the "glasshouse" is for more serious offences, like going AWOL for example. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't know if its the same for TA as it is regular?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

If you commited a civil offence=Civvy deal with it, Military offence = Military deal with it...

Even regulars have to face the music with the civil law, I was arrested whilst home on leave from NI for scrapping and dealt with by a civvy court, then back to battalion to face the CO and bringing the Army/Regiment in to disrepute 8)
"Every man an Emperor!"

Post by Guest »

I spent a couple of years based at Roman Barracks in Colchester which is within earshot of MCTC. (we used to hear their drill instructors giving words of command!)

When I was in the shooting team we sometimes shared a range with the MCTC staff. Quite a scary bunch!

"Well done lads, you've got the radio". :)
adj125

Post by adj125 »

:oops:
Last edited by adj125 on Fri 10 Aug, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
The Inniskilling Dragoon

MCTC

Post by The Inniskilling Dragoon »

Boxing mad: you can go to mctc for any amount of time, i served 35 days there back in 97, if i had to choose between Regt nick or colly, i would choose mctc because it is away from your unit, it avoids the humiliation of being beasted in front of your peers, superiors and civilians. the first few days are a bit of an eye opener but after that it gets better.i saw it as a sort of mil health farm, no drinking, i stopped smoking, early to bed, good meals everyday, and courses...i came out of there an assistant NBC instructor.
if you do well in there and show remourse for why you were sent there it is reflected on your final report that is sent to your commanding officer.i was promoted within 8 weeks of goin back to my unit

also you will find that its cheaper to send a soldier to MCTC as apposed to regt nick, so CO's perfer to send them away.

finally anyone can go to MCTC: TA, Officers have been remanded there for very serious offences (one was in segregation during my stay) even RMP's can have holidays there if need arises, also if you are sentenced to a jail term in a civil prison you will start your time in colchester
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

Interesting topic, other posts are correct you can go to the glasshouse for as long as is deemed nesessary but im not sure on the TA thing though but i may be wrong and probably am. I f you commit an offence in UK the initial report will go to the civi police first, if they dont want it it goes to the mod plod then passed down to rmp to deal, rmp in Uk do hardly any police work at all. With regards to military offences, most are dealt with in house by the unit CO's unless they want outside help from rmp which looks bad on the unit. Lets say you got into a fight at the local squaddie night club and you had hurt the other guy bad, you could be arrested by rmp if they were first on scene but then the case would or could be handed over to the civi police and they have juristriction, if they didnt want it we would and you would get done. Germany is differant as the rmp are like judge dread, the germans will hand over 99% to the rmp to deal which for the squaddie is much better in the long run. As for rmp in the glasshouse, im sure some have paid it a visit, in my time i have only seen 1 rmp jailed in a RA guardroom for awol and we had to supply a rmp nco to look after him as the units rp staff couldn't touch him for legal reasons.......hope this wafle helps to confuse you more :lol:
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"