Share This Page:

U.S. Army

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
mercury

Post by mercury »

Edwards159 wrote:Just found out some of the fitness requirements to join the U.S. Army. These are requirements you have to pass to start basic training.

Minimum requirements for Male aged 17-21.

2 Mile run=16:36

You sure this isn't for the Salvation army ?
"certa cito"
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

I can tell you for certain that 2 mile run isnt done as a standard test, dont know where you got that from.

For basic Airbourne ie 101st, 82nd etc, you do 1 1/2 mile run in less than 11 mins, depending on your age.....pretty similar to BPFA, and most US guys do it sub 9 min 30 secs. alot sub 8 mins.

The fitness isnt that different guys for basic etc.....in some units it slips as your career goes on, as they dont have to do a CFT etc every year.
unless you are combat units..and those guys are pretty fit i wouldnt say there is much between the two forces

John
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

apologies just re: read your post :oops:

That time was to start plain army basic training, to pass it will be less and then depending what disipline you go to will determine the final passing times required.

i.e airbourne sub 10 mins?......supply paperwork clerk 12 mins?

you get my drift 8)
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

DelD wrote:Mods, this is developing into another pissing contest?

We have forum members from the US, no need in my opinion to have some stupid hardness argument and annoy long term members.

Can we get this back on track?
Not really a pissing contest, just talking about the fitness requirements
Utrinque Paratus
johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

No pissing contest here

I just feel that having served in both the US and the UK military, i'm in a better position than most to dispell some of the misconceptions about both forces, i like to think i dont favour one over the other do i?

john
Edwards159

Post by Edwards159 »

That time was to start plain army basic training, to pass it will be less
Yes, looking at the US Army website you do the 2 mile run at a selection centre to start basic. Bit like RSC

Most likely to be different times for different units,, same as british army
Last edited by Edwards159 on Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Utrinque Paratus
Jascar

Post by Jascar »

Redhand,

Yes I am looking at joining the British Army now. I agree that it's more appealing for a Canadian than our own army is for a variety of reasons. Not sure exactly what trade I'm planning on taking, I'm still a bit confused by the GCSE's and A-levels, plus a British recruiter told me that a few trades aren't available for non-British citizens.

However, I requested the application forms 2 months ago and still haven't got them.....I'm getting frustrated. How about you? You joining?
Lance

Post by Lance »

However, I requested the application forms 2 months ago and still haven't got them
Call the AFCO up and request them again. Keep annoying them until you get those forms.

Be very paitient with the application process as it can take a long time and is very frustrating if there are any unforseen delays. All I can advise is to keep in regular contact with your recruiter. Don't be afraid to annoy the hell out of them.

Lance
"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction."
Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins
Jascar

Post by Jascar »

Lance wrote: Call the AFCO up and request them again. Keep annoying them until you get those forms.
Thanks for the advice, I'll call a recruiter tomorrow and ask for the papers again.