Share This Page:

U.S. Army

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
day tripper

U.S. Army

Post by day tripper »

Is it possible for a British National to join the U.S. army?

For example the Gurkhas in the British Army.
I love the smell of Napalm in the morning, smells like victory...
The Cheat

Post by The Cheat »

Don't think so m8... I was dual untill i joined the TA, and had a look at the American bits when i was younger ( i have since seen the light) and I found that it was quite hard to even ask for info.... The Gurkas are in the British army ever since the days of the Raj and that lot...its just a custom, like the guys from fiji... But in the states you have to be american... You might be able to do an exchange or sumthin from the brits but i think thats the only way...
Know your limits...Then crush them
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Why would any Brit want to go and fight for another country? No disrespect to America, I know the US army are highly professional; but the British Army is known for the high quality of it's training, you are British, so what's wrong with joining the British Army?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
liverpoolirish

Re: U.S. Army

Post by liverpoolirish »

day tripper wrote:Is it possible for a British National to join the U.S. army?

For example the Gurkhas in the British Army.
You go to their Marines, they recruit globally.

Bryn
Tab

Post by Tab »

Bigbart, Many British people do wind up in the American Army and are proud to serve there. My sister lad joined the Ameican Green Berets [dual nationality] and has risen to the rank of capatin so far.
Col.Parsons

Post by Col.Parsons »

Actually, I was wondering about this the other day :o

But my thought was... Can Americans join the British army? Cos I think they can.

So, if they can join our army, why can't we join there's? (Marines exception)

Si 8)
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I thought it was only people from commonwealth countrys that have lived over here for 5 years that can sign up or am i wrong?
johnnyboy

Joining the yanks

Post by johnnyboy »

Last edited by johnnyboy on Wed 13 Oct, 2004 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benjordan81

Post by benjordan81 »

Having just been on the US marine web site - you cannot join them without being a US Citizen.

Anyone know different?
RAf Regiment Officer - Recruitment Progress

First Contact - 31st Aug 04
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Last I heard during the height of the Vietnam war,
if you joined the US armed forces(Army and Marines only)And served two
full tours in country(two years for army,two years,four months for Marines)You could apply for US citizenship.Not all who completed this requirement were successful.It was a behind the bike shed kind of deal between State,Defense and the INS.I knew some Jamaicans and Antiguans back in the seventies who took that route to citizenship.
To the best of my knowledge this is no longer an option.You have to be a US citizen(Dual or otherwise)To serve.
Now that INS is under the Dept.of Homeland Security and not Justice,it's becoming inceasingly difficult to get citizenship.
Unless of course you are Mid-East born and want to kill us all.
Then it's"Right this way Mr Abdulla,welcome to the US,no we don't need to search your bags,that would be profiling can't have that now can we?
Excuse me Mr.Abdulla theres a dangerous looking senior citizen in a wheel chair over there that I need to harrass for hours."
Oh,sorry.
Kind of changed tack there didn't I
Wholley.
:o
day tripper

Post by day tripper »

Well ive looked into it and non u.s. citizens can join, however you must have a green card and currently reside in the u.s.

Sure like im going to get a green card...

Bigbart-ive always wanted to be a u.s. citizen and was hoping after 5 years military service I can apply for permanent u.s. citizenship.

I dont mean to sound sarcastic but isnt there 10,000 plus brits fighting for the u.s. army right now in iraq?

Im not questioning the British training whatsoever, I believe it is more comprehensive than the u.s. counterparts.

What's wrong with the British Army? Poor equipment, overstretched and underfunded and pay is very little during the first few years, but to be honest I havent investigated how much u.s. counterparts are paid.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

day tripper wrote: What's wrong with the British Army? Poor equipment, overstretched and underfunded and pay is very little during the first few years, but to be honest I havent investigated how much u.s. counterparts are paid.
But the British Armed forces get on with it and adapt thats what makes the British armed forces the best in the world, they can adapt to any situation because they get the best training in the world. Its also a well know fact the British Regimental system is the best in the world even the money bag septics will tell you that.

Why do you think the U.S. go to war with Great Britain? because when the shit hits the fan the Brits sort it out.
PGAC - Complete

TG Course - 17th October
day tripper

Post by day tripper »

Im not denying for 1 minute that the british army are the best trained in the world, what im saying is soldiers shouldnt have to go to war ill equiped, regardless of getting on with the job. It should not happen, but it does.

e.g. the tank crewman who was killed because he was order to hand over the kevlar panels in his flak jacket because their was a shortage, no matter how trained you are, you cant dodge bullets.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

aye, well i was just saying :D

Also, if you join the yanks you go everywhere in a hummer! Brits TAB!

Either way at the end of the day its your decision but if you want to join the best, stay with the British.
PGAC - Complete

TG Course - 17th October