Share This Page:

Earn the maroon beret!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
bigbart

Earn the maroon beret!

Post by bigbart »

Royal Marine recruits rightfully have to earn their green beret by passing the commando tests. SAS wannabes have to pass selection before getting their beige beret. Paras, like Marines, are an elite regiment, but recruits are handed their maroon berets straight away. Personally, I don't think anyone in any regiment should get their beret or cap badge until they finish training, then they can wear it like a trophy, knowing it's well earnt. Any thoughts?
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Are you in or have you been in the forces?
"Every man an Emperor!"
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: It may be of interest to all 'Maroon' beret people, the local Army Cadet Force, Boston detachment wear the maroon beret with the Para Badge,I often wonder who's descision it was to allow this travesty,dont get me wrong I am a great believer in cadet forces,but why should these boys and girls wear a beret of distinction when 'perce' sweats to gain his coveted 'Cherry' Beret.Aye jr
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge

Post by Guest »

JR wrote:the local Army Cadet Force, Boston detachment wear the maroon beret with the Para Badge...but why should these boys and girls wear a beret of distinction when 'perce' sweats to gain his coveted 'Cherry' Beret.Aye jr
Outrageous. I am all for the Paras not getting the beret until they finish basic training, the same as the RM and the SAS. Albeit they have to wear the backing on the badge until after Parachute training, but they are still wearing the 'prize' arn't they.

As for the cadets, talk about walters :D

James
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Maroon wrote:Are you in or have you been in the forces?
I was in once but left during training (Infantry not para) and I'm now re-enlisting. I should hopefuly start training in summer. I'm going RA this time.
chrisfow

Post by chrisfow »

That is a load of rubbish. The cherry berry is the symbol of passing P Compan, and you get it after passing those tests just as you get wings after completing Brize. As for the cadets, para ACF units are supposed to wear the capbadge on a coloured backing and on a blue beret. Whoever allowed those cadets to do that should be taken down the range and used as a moving target :)

Chris
Staffords all the way :D
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Recruits on the school leaver scheme get the maroon beret as well. Do they do P company straight away? I didn't think they did.
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

chrisfow wrote:That is a load of rubbish. The cherry berry is the symbol of passing P Compan, and you get it after passing those tests just as you get wings after completing Brize.
Actually mate I think that Para Reg recruits get to wear the maroon beret (albeit with a green disc behind the cap badge) after 'passing off the square' (week 4???). I may be wrong though.

As for ACF cadets wearing the maroon beret, like you I've never seen this. Whenever I've seen Para Reg ACF cadets they've always been wearing a blue beret.
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

You get to wear the Maroon Beret after passing off the square (used to be week 4) and it had the green backing behind the capbadge, you COULD and that's only because it could have all changed, only wear the Beret on the drill square and no where else until you passed P-coy (you had to wear a combat cap which was also know as a crap hat), then and only then, were you aloud to wear the Beret without the backing...

As for cadet's, that sounds like b'llocks, as mentioned before they used to only wear the Blue beret....

If this has changed then the Regimental HQ need feecking hanging.. :evil:
"Every man an Emperor!"
JR

Post by JR »

:lol: Maroon,as for being a load of b'llocks do a little checking on the web,50 quid to a pinch of salt jr is right never wrong,so dont come the 'Old Soldier'with me, been there,seen it and got the 'T' shirt.aye jr :fist:
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Army Cadet Force'
Main Ridge,
Boston,Lincolnshire,PE21 6SS
Tel 01205 352033.

Cheers.Aye JR :wink: :wink:
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

I still think nobody should get their cap badge or beret until they have completed ALL training and joined their regiment. Then it is well and truly earnt. Marines don't get theirs until after the commando tests, at the end of training. In my opinion, that's the best way to do it.
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

Morning JR,

I was expressing my opinion, ie I THINK it's b'llocks and yes, when I was in, CADETS did not wear the Maroon Beret and what I was saying was, I think that it's b'llocks if it has changed....

Maybe I should have worded it better :(

So you an Old Cadet Sweat then?

:fist:
"Every man an Emperor!"
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Oh Maroon, dig a hole and when it gets deep enough stop digging. Old Bootneck saying.
JR has probably pushed his zimmer frame from the heights at your last! :lol: Royal Marine old chap, Royal Marine, and he was doing it well before our time. 8)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
tin4tin

Post by tin4tin »

i feel that you should only wear the beret until they have earn't. E.G. recieve at the end of basic training