Share This Page:

Earn the maroon beret!

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Hi again, nearly back on the planet. Nobody gets 'given' the lid, just for show. It did happen once in my experience in Toulon, the band were preparing for a cocktail party, rehearsing in the hangar deck, the bandmaster started handing out green lids for them to wear going ashore in rig. All the booties sitting on the flight deck listening to the rehearsal went apeshit and the hats were collected up again. The bandies went ashore in their white peak caps.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Pheonix19

Post by Pheonix19 »

Looking at some of the earlier posts on this topic, I will just set a couple of things straight. The PARA course is 26 weeks long...

WEEKS 1 - 6
During the first 6 weeks you will wear a DPM Cap

WEEK 6+
At the end of the 6th week you will pass off the drill square. This involves a block/room/locker inspection of the platoon, a series of regimental and personalities questions, and obviously a series of drill movements. Upon completion of this, you will have earned the right to wear the maroon beret. HOWEVER, the winged cap badge will always keep its green backing untill lateron in training.

P-COMPANY
Only when you complete P-COMPANY will you have the chance of been able to remove the green backing from your cap badge.

PARACHUTE TRAINING
The next and final step before joining a battalion will be to earn the parachute wings worn on the arm. These are earned during weeks 26 - 30, in which you will be trained as a military parachutist.

That basically explains the facts. So if anyone thinks the maroon beret is not earned in any way, then they are wrong!
Pain is nothing but weakness leaving the body
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

Thanks for clearing things up. But wouldn't you agree that it would be better if the maroon beret was earned after full training was completed? The Commando beret is notoriously hard to earn.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've been told by the recruiter in my jobs brief, that when I am given the choice of 29cmdo or 7 para (light gun) then if I chose 29cmdo I'd wear artillery colours until I pass the cmdo course, only then I'd wear a green beret, however if I chose 7 para I'd be given the red beret to wear with the RA capbadge at the start of phase 2.
Boxingmad

Post by Boxingmad »

Is it likely that things will change; i.e. they'll keep the DPM craphats until after P Coy?