Share This Page:

How do you motivate yourself??

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
podder

Post by podder »

to keep myself motivated on runs or what ever im doing i just finc about how much i want to get into the armed forces. Also try and imagine how much harder basic training will be if you dont get yourself fit. i sometimes think of my girlfriend and how she wouldnt like it if i get a bit of a belly! hehe!! :lol:
Mal

Post by Mal »

Right, I think I might be able to give you a tip or two here mate, for some of the things that motivate me. Some may not agree with me, but they work for me.

Music
Carry a small radio or MP3 player with you. Really helps you keep going. Sometimes if a song that I really like comes on, it actually sends huge flows of adrenalin to me and I end up running alot faster, even if I am knackered.

General Motivation
I once read this in a book by Chris Ryan, and its comething I totally agree with. Probably the most hardest part of a run, is actually getting out the front door to do it I can tell you, the more you run and the more often you run the easier it becomes. I love running. Cross Country has been my life, but I can tell you if I get injured for a long period of time its often hard to regain the same motivation I used to have untill after a week or so training.

Schedule
Its good to have a schedule or training programme to follow. For example, for the past 4 weeks I have been using the 4 week Pre-Para training. Its very motivating to be able to cross each day and exercise off as you do it, and say after 3 weeks its encouraging to look at all the days you have crossed off and think "woah i done all that, stuck too it, and only got one more week to go"

Surroundings
I live in the countryside with loads of green hills and natural landscape around me. Now obviously alot of people wont have this. I never get bored of my surroundings therefore I love running in them. However, in town areas, try choose park areas, river banks, routes with something interesting along the way. Also dont follow the same route over and over again or you will get bored, thus demotivated. Perhaps try running the same route backwards. It will seem a completly different route.

Partner
Even if you dont have a partner, sometimes you can also resort to running with mans best friend - a dog. I have to admit thou, my dog is a westie, and probably wudnt be able to keep up with me. Also stops at every blade of grass to piss or have a sniff about. Worth a try thou.

Weather
Dont let this affect you. I used to hate running in rain. Now I love it. Reason been, yeah I might hate it, but after a mile or so you begin to like it as it keeps you cool. Also when you finish a "hellish" run like that, once u get home you think to yourself "look at it out there. I ran in that, finished it, and man do I feel good about it" Personally I like running in snow the best. I always feel cooler than summer obviously, but runing also keeps my body temperature up, which makes it perfect training time of year.

Getting Fitter
May not be the best motivational technique. However, every other saturday, I run the BFT - 1.5mile warm up jog followed by 1.5mile best effort. Say you get 9min on the run one week, you think, great thats really good. Two weeks later, you get 8:45. May not sound much in text, but belive me its a HUGE motivational boost. I got 8:02 last saturday, after spending 10min recovering I was extremly pleased for myself.

These are some of the motivational techniques that I have used in the past. So yes, they are tried and tested for me. Might not work for everyone but never know. One other last minute tip. May sound stupid, but in my bedroom, I will more than often put a set of trackies, training shirt, training socks and trainers THERE READY. I find you have a greater boost of motivation to go out running if all your gear is there ready, than if you had to get it out wardrope. A final motivational tip is to have a small book to use as your Training Log. I have one. I can look back over all the previous training I have done, and think, woah, Ive done alot, along with perhaps a small section at the back where you can record personal records. First time I ran the 1.5mile run I got 9:17 (quite good but I run in a cross country team mind), but just looking at that record list, my current time is 8:02. Its really motivating too look on paper at how much you have improved.

Sorry this is so long :roll: But im sure it may help you, and anyone else who reads it out.
I love beasting

Post by I love beasting »

Thats great Mal, thanks for taking the time to lets us know a little about how you train.
Uni in Sepember
ajcee867

Post by ajcee867 »

personal bests and managing to achieve set goals are always great for motivation. just dont say "right today i am going to run a 4 minute mile" you will only end up getting disapointed.
lew

Post by lew »

I plan my week, what I’m doing training wise, work wise, and socially. I also think how much use it’s going to be in the future. I used to hate running when I started, I would have to stop after a mile as I was that unfit, but I’m now running 6 miles in 45 mins, going home changing and going to the gym for an hour or so. As mal said you do look back and say, yea I did that, I’m now capable of doing this and I look good to.

Just crack on and you’ll do fine, you may even grow to love PT.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

podder wrote:to keep myself motivated on runs or what ever im doing i just finc about how much i want to get into the armed forces. Also try and imagine how much harder basic training will be if you dont get yourself fit. i sometimes think of my girlfriend and how she wouldnt like it if i get a bit of a belly! hehe!! :lol:

Podder - If you dont mind me asking, I hope I`m not being rude. But how is your girlfriend taking you joining the army?
podder

Post by podder »

hi..no problems KlinkKlank ..im not actually joining the army though, im joining the raf regiment . My girlfriend Wasnt too pleased about it at first .She was saying she would never see me and things wouldnt work out but after we we talked it through and i explained the situation eg basic training, the regiment life etc she was a little happier with things. We discussed the fact that it will be hard at first and if she wanted we could break up (because i would feel guilty me being away and her just waiting around) but she was having none of that :D She knows its something ive always wanted to do but dont think she actually thought id go through with it.

Why? are you in a similar situation??
Sig657

Post by Sig657 »

Nice post, good luck mal even though if it is a little bit late!, Mal started basic on 6th. Motivation, for some its alot harder than others all depends on whom you are i suppose, personally i set myself very hard goals that im almost certain i cannot achieve and then everyso often ill manage to push myself so hard i reach one, and the feeling when that happens is very good, just like keeping a log of your running times as mal mentioned earlier! I think the best way of training is to do it with someone elsei know this is not easily done because lets face it nobody likes to push their fitness to the extremes unless they have to or unless they are in the same position as ppl on these forums.. waiting to sign up. I met mal a while back on these forums got chatting through msn etc and although there was 252 miles between us we used to compare notes on net occasionally to see how we were doing in comparison and i found this very motivational to just be talking to somebody NEARLY of the same level as me! :lol: :lol: :lol: . Good luck fella's and Theres only not time if you dont make time.
If its not rainning its not trainning
alex4013

Post by alex4013 »

Good thread this is! I have always had huge motivational problems.. too kin easy to stay in bed etc.. Getting out the door is THE hardest part. Once your out just think to yourself, "what else would I be doing? watching fu***ng Neighbours or Big Brother? Bol**x to that!" Lifes too short to be worried about a load of ozzies!. I digress.. Get out the door and give it some. Basic is a HELL of a load easier if your fit, you'll still be knackered but you won't have the pressure of worrying about PT the next day as well as your kit, lack of sleep, drill, weapons, section attacks etc.. Being fit is one of the most important aspects of Army/Forces. Especially RAF regiment.. Rock APes get beasted mate.. Just go for it! An MP3 is good.. Tunes are brilliant for focus. I've had too many lagers... Rock on mate.
Tab

Post by Tab »

What motivated me, well I did not like to fail at anything I try, nor will I let anything beat me, corny I know but It has always worked for me.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Last edited by Tab on Mon 05 Jul, 2004 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

What motivated me was the fact my application process was staring to pick up. It took me a month to get as far as a BARB and 4 for to to my first interview, piss take i know. But after they told me i could be off to RSC as soon as 2-3 weeks it gave me what i needed to get out there and start running again.
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
martin1001

Post by martin1001 »

At thirtytwo I still do a lot of PT although I have been "out" for 7 years.

My advice:

Just do it. Switch on robot mode and get out, once your out just make yourself run longer....

Works for me. :o
Train hard - fight easy, drink lots - fall over
Cliodna

Post by Cliodna »

I get motivated by thinking to myself....No phys, no beer later :wink: :D

All those empty calories!!!! :o :lol: :lol:
para001

Post by para001 »

i doing my 1.5mile in 8:19 - 8:35 each time its in between, i do a warm up then turn around and do my best run, And all i can think about when im going is how much i want that para cap badge..... I know it minght sound sad but thats what keeps me going, got RSC next tuesday so gonna train real hard from now on