Share This Page:

Military Insignia

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
got1

Military Insignia

Post by got1 »

Just curious, found the bowl of a clay pipe in the river.
Looking from the front ,there are crossed rifles [could even be muskets] on the right and a bugle on the left. the bugle is shaped like the DLI one but has a loop in the middle
I tried on Goole and found a clay pipe museum which I e mailed. They havn't botherd to reply.
Anybody any ideas. Cheers.
got1

Post by got1 »

Sorry lads, should have started to look closer to home.
The bugle looks like the one on the HLI badge.
sleevles

Post by sleevles »

nonononono, the only regiments who still use the bugle(excluding band purposes) are the RGJ and the LI, wich the crossed rifles i think ure lookin at LI, but im no expert.
Last edited by sleevles on Sun 13 Jun, 2004 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

*waits...*
got1

Post by got1 »

"waits also"
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

*waits to see what Hyperlith and got1 are waiting for*

But in the mean time...

I'm sure I've heard of a fair few other regiments using the bugle horn. The ones I know of are the LI, the DLI (TA), the RGJ and a few others I can't remember right now. According to people more knowledgable than myself "the bugle is now incorporated into the badges of all Light Infantry and Rifle Regiments as a reminder of their original role."
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
sleevles

Post by sleevles »

you may have heard of some of the reserve regiments who still go by the name of the former green jacket reg(ie kings own rifle corps, ox. and bucks. LI, and the rifle brigade) who use it. Asides that im pretty sure the RGJ and LI are the only ones who use them in barracks for every day purposes and parades. But alot of regiments use them for their bands etc...
oh and the scabby yanks use them too...
im a bugeler my self so im supposed to know all this but as a cadet i could be wrong!
chrisfow

Post by chrisfow »

we have a very old (at least 10 yrs) poster up in our stores which lists the insignia of supposedly every regt. At least five regts use the bugle from mem, I will check on thurs

wait out
Staffords all the way :D
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

i used to play the bugle when i was a yoof in the 7th teeside boys brigade battalion of misfits prior to getting arrested for shoplifting if that helps ??
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
chrisfow

Post by chrisfow »

Goldie

Going off the subject totally but...is it common for redcaps to have criminal records, or were you a black sheep?!
Staffords all the way :D
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

chrisfow wrote:we have a very old (at least 10 yrs) poster up in our stores which lists the insignia of supposedly every regt. At least five regts use the bugle from mem, I will check on thurs

wait out
We've got one of those awell, I can't remember by heart but I'll check tomorrow aswell.

Goldie, Teeside you say? What regiment?
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

Aldo wrote:
chrisfow wrote:we have a very old (at least 10 yrs) poster up in our stores which lists the insignia of supposedly every regt. At least five regts use the bugle from mem, I will check on thurs

wait out
We've got one of those awell, I can't remember by heart but I'll check tomorrow aswell.

Goldie, Teeside you say? What regiment?
it was the BILLINGHAM branch mate..........hey i was only young

goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

chrisfow wrote:Goldie

Going off the subject totally but...is it common for redcaps to have criminal records, or were you a black sheep?!
blacker than black mate.
i was arrested and given a caution at a young age so my henious crime was spent by the time i joined up, although i was arrested and had an interview (no tea or crumpets) with the friendly SIB when i was serving for GBH on a tankie during an arrest...........the german police had given him a kicking first before i even got to him, he had assaulted 3 german police during arrest, me and my oppo when we took him over and had an outstanding court case on an assault on a civi copper when on leave......no case to answer sgt major....carry on cpl g