Share This Page:

French Famas Assault Rifle

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
goreD.

Post by goreD. »

Never fired it.
My favourite 5.56mm Assault Rifle is the H+K 33.
Good all rounder.

Gore.
Mexican bandit, "Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges....."
Major Kong, "Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in vegas with all that stuff....."
Gore, "The first casualty of war is your underpants....."
Big Boys Rules

SA80 in Iraq

Post by Big Boys Rules »

Cleaned it, oiled it like the book said, cleaned mags, loaded with 25 rounds to be safe, stuck on dashboard in the morning and 3 stopages in 5 rounds... It's had it's chance ... IN THE BIN.

Adendum: Absolutely nothing stopping them buying off the shelf, many tried and tested systems out there "M16-A2" and family for starters... but then of course theres the government back handers and the propping up of companies that MPs have interests in...

Harsh... but ultimately... Fair!!!
Last edited by Big Boys Rules on Mon 14 Jun, 2004 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tab

Post by Tab »

There have been a number of comments about the SA-80 being awkward
for a left handed person, well if you think that is bad then you should have tried the .303.
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Lol BBR, that's a pretty bad record there alright! I dunno how many thousands rounds i fired through my issued SA80A1 during training, but I only ever got 1 stoppage, and it was because of a bust mag. I dunno what was up with the rifle I got, it just never jammed!! :D Even when we were crawling around in mud, on the other hand, most guys were pulling their hair out over stoppages. I guess it's the inconsistency shown above that makes it so unreliable. Hopefully the A2 is better for everyones sake, haven't fired it myself. Just goes to show that there is at least 1 SA80A1 out there with a good record, even if it has never seen combat, lol. :o

Tab, I think the SA80 is awkward for anyone, even if they are right handed! SA80A1 was definitely very awkward for me when I was used to firing the Steyr AUG. Steyr is simple as hell to operate and very user friendly..the cocking handle is on the left hand side for example, compared to the SA80 having it on the right.
craigm

Post by craigm »

RobT wrote:Is it the rifle that the french foreign leigon use?
Damn straight. As they are part of the French Army they get the same weapon that frog soldiers get. Seem to remember reading somewhere that in training they happily drag their weapon through mud and generally chuck it about tho... :(

I think the FAMAS can be fired left or right handed... maybe someone's already answered this though.

Craig
Tab

Post by Tab »

Okay Jagger, but have you tried the .303
Josh

Post by Josh »

So if the 80 was replaced tomorrow, and there was no political mendeling, would the FAMAS be a serious contender?
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

Certainly haven't Tab. The SA80 is a pretty nice weapon to fire, just saying compared to other bullpups, Steyr in my case, i've found it abit awkward in comparison. Maybe they've made it more user friendly with the A2, but I haven't had the chance to fire one.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Not fired it but done all the rest. Personally I think it's very nice, especially when you have to hold it in the ready position for a while. I've not used other assault rifles but with other conventional rifles and such that have the weight more to the front I find myself getting tired much quicker than if the weights at the rear like the SA80. I don't find it awkward at all, possibly in the prone possition but once you get use to it I think it's fine. Stripping and cleaning couldn't be much easier either, exept maybe if you put the gas block in the wrong way and have to hide from the armourer for the rest of your life :o

Everyone I know whos used the A2 version say it's pretty good and a lot better than the A1 in terms of reliability. No complaints about them so far from Iraq anyway.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

Josh, traditionally bullpups were just designed to be short for close quarter fighting and for use in armoured vehicles, and these days the disadvantages of them are more limited as technology develops. FN have worked out how to have casings eject downwards and/or forwards so you can use them from either shoulder, and it's quite common to have an ambidextrous cocking handle.
That said most forces seem to prefer conventional weapons (combined rifle/cannon weapons aside), the TAVOR is only being adopted by Israel for political reasons and most other countries I can think of are sticking with conventional rifles, the US being the most obvious. It really needs first hand experience to explain why though, so I'll leave that to someone else :).
Fluffy bunnies - Grrrrr!
Tab

Post by Tab »

I have spent some time at the invitation of 1 Para the other year to try some of thier weapons. I found the SA80-2 a great weapon, well balanced, very accurate, with a good range, and those sights, I loved them. I would have loved to have that bit of kit when I was in action with them . Also by having the magazine towards the rear of the rifle you get the extra barrel length with out making it awkard for movement. Also this weapon has now been well tested under battlefield conditions and there are very few other European counties that can say that.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
legbmpe1

Post by legbmpe1 »

I used the FAMAS for a number of years and although I have only the SLR to compare it to I agree with the lad who said it looks good but has many design faults and is a difficult thing to zero, it has quick release screws called guppies that are exactly that quick at releasing and getting lost, the hard plastic carrying handle deforms and as it is part of the aiming system "le Guidon" it can be a problem. The legion retains a number of the former PW the MAS36 which we would use to fire grenades which the FAMAS can Also do. in its favour the sling is well designed and can be changed to carry the weopen like a bergan this was called "position Alpine" and was useful when on runs or linking ammo for the 52 which is the GPMG equivilent but nowhere near as good.
FAMAS stands for FUSIL D'ASSAULT MANUFACTURE ARMES ST ETTIENE. Finally unlike the SLR it was a doddle doing drill with it and was worn round the shoulders bliss
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Seems a lot of people who have seen up close/held/fired a cadet version of the IW seem to be small arms experts now. First point to note, the cadet version is simpler as it has no gas system due to it being bolt action. If kept well maintained the SA80 should operate just as well as the majority of weapons it's contested against. The A2 actually has come out of Iraq with a better record than the M4 these couch commandos seem to think is the holy grail of assault rifles. Now the Yanks have sent their M4s to H & K to modify. To whom it concerns, you say you fired an A2 cadet rifle? Are you sure, I doubt very much that the government would spend money on updating cadet weapons to make them more reliable. And please tell me you're not gonna say they let you loose with a fully fledged SA-80A2 with blanks. I simply wouldn't believe that?!
Abakan

Post by Abakan »

Personally I'd pick the Abakan An-94 Assult rifle...

Why?

Because it's Russian and hence never stops shooting, even after you run a tank over it and then saw it in half..

And..

It gets around the supposed lack of stopping power issue of 5.45 and 5.56 calibre weapons wit an ingenious 2 rates of fire.. 600 and 1800 rpm. 600 in full auto and a theoretical 1800 when on its unique "double tap" mode which send 2 bullets fired at higher rpm at the same spot on target as mechanism in gun allows second shot of before full recoil of 1st shot....

Hard to explain... but suffice to say even level 3 armour with plate stands no chance...

http://www.world.guns.ru/assault/as08-e.htm

have a look its interesting...
The Inniskilling Dragoon

Post by The Inniskilling Dragoon »

Jon wrote:Im not a soldier yet and have no experience of the SA80, however im left handed and can safetly say that im not looking forward to using my right arm to shoot.
Jon, im left handed. when i joined up i was really worried about this, but i was amazed how easy i picked it up, even if a left handed sa80 was invented now i would opt fot the right handed version. the only minor problem i encountered was applying eye relief, but an issued eye patch remedied that, but after lots of range days i was getting 100% on my APWT and i still am, so dont worry mate.

Also there is nothing wrong with the A2, its a good weapon and its very battle proven, most people on here that knock it appear not to be serving let alone fired it more than once! and as opposed to the SLR, yeah it ddi knock down walls, but it weighed a ton compared to its successor, and it defeated its object...........its better to cause casualties than kill, hence the birth of the bullpup