Share This Page:

IEDs And Spinal Decompression

General discussions on helping the wounded (our soldiers) and other charitable work and events.
dave1234

IEDs And Spinal Decompression

Post by dave1234 »

We are all familiar with the terrible soft tissue injuries caused by IEDs. Another, lesser known problem also occurs. When an IED explodes, massive shock waves impact the body. Our spines contains a series of bones ( vertebrae ) with shock absorbers ( inter-spinal disks ) in between. A series of muscles ( the erector spinae group ) runs up and down the back. When the compressive wave hits, these disks are “squeezed”. The brain thinks the spine is about to be damaged and sends signals to the muscles to help “stabilize” the spine. For some, these muscles will unlock. For others, especially those who then suffer herniated disks, these muscles will remain “locked”. Most field military personnel have poor posture when the body is relaxed ( this is totally different from the ability to “force” yourself to attention on the parade ground ). Forward head and shoulders and a tilted pelvis ( from tabbing with bergans etc ) mean that most already have excessive curvature of the lower spine which means extra pressure on the disks, which then start to dehydrate and then possibly herniate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q70c0jT2J_8

I was treated with a device called the Disc-Force ( which is probably the best unit in the world, but only available in the US at present ). It has helped me tremendously. I recently found out that the same manufacturer has an older model which is now available in the UK. It is called the Accu-Spine. There are many different types of spinal decompression machines on the market. Some are trully awful. I’ve been given a list of five clinics in the UK. I’m going to contact each one individually and ask them questions about their rehab procedures.

The first one is in Glasgow and is trully world class. They have treated a number of famous movie and TV stars:

http://www.buckinghamclinic.com/index.p ... stimonials

If you have back injuries related to IEDs and have been told that nothing more can be done for you, it may be worthwhile to call these guys and have a chat. I live in the States and have seen a lot of veterans who have been helped with these devices.

Unfortunately for some individuals, due to severe damage, there may be nothing that can be done. However, a simple phone call may help you. Always work in co-ordination with your doctor.

These devices are not a “be all and end all” to back pain from IED injuries, but form the number of people whom I have seen helped, I know that in some circumstances they can give people their lives back.

Even if you get rid of your back pain, you should make sure that you get into a postural reconditioning program to help get your body back to a neutral position ( no slouched shoulders etc ). This will help prevent future back issues.
At present, in the States, It is very difficult to get the Veterans Administration to pay for this. Most of the guys who have used it have paid for it themselves.

Dave