Share This Page:

Aaron Mattes' Stretching Technique [ UK Contact ]

General discussions on helping the wounded (our soldiers) and other charitable work and events.
dave1234

Aaron Mattes' Stretching Technique [ UK Contact ]

Post by dave1234 »

Four years ago I was told I would never walk again. I am now heading towards leading a normal life. By chance I came across a chap called Aaron Mattes. Aaron has been one of the three people most instrumental in getting me to where I am today. I owe so much to him.

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/s ... erformance

Aaron suffered six crushed disks when he was a champion powerlifter. Confined to a wheelchair, he was also told he would never walk again. Aaron refused to accept this and developed a unique stretching system which got him out of the wheelchair and walking again. Aaron’s system was recently reviewed in a series of scientific tests by the National Institutes of Health in the USA as being the most efficient of all stretching programs. Aaron’s program is based on three principles:

1. Stretches should last for no more than two seconds.
2. No more than 1 lb of force should be applied
3. The stretcher must exhale as the muscle is stretched

A few notes on the above:

Most of us with a military background are used to putting “100% effort” into stretching, due to the fact that instructors demand “100% effort”. However stretching should not be like that. It should be relaxing and actually feel good, not painful. Aaron found that when you stretch for more than two seconds, the brain often thinks that you are going to damage the muscle and actually puts a restriction on further movement [ even though you might think otherwise ].
Using too much force can cause “micro-tears” in the muscle tissue. During the night, the body puts down scar tissue to help repair the damage. This results in more restricted movement the next day.

Breathing out during the stretch is vitally important and helps cleanse the tissues of waste.

So how can all this help people in the military ? Multiple ways.

We are all familiar with young chaps coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan with limbs missing. The PT’s do a great job in rehab, but Aaron Mattes has noticed a few things that often get overlooked. When a leg is removed, there is a natural tendency of the body to shift weight. This weight shifting can lead to other muscles getting tight [ especially one called the quadratus lumborum in the lower back ]. This can lead to scoliosis of the spine [ bending ] and in turn to disk related problems. A whole chain of events can take place from a limb being removed. If the artificial limb is not an exact match, pelvic differences can occur which lead to further problems.

When IED’s go off, spinal injuries are common. When disks are compressed or herniated, the body causes certain muscles to tighten in order to “stabilize the area”. In recovery, sometimes these muscles remain locked up.

Aaron’s techniques can be used to help these people. Aaron and his therapists have helped many wheelchair bound people [ as well as amputees ] around the world lead a better quality of life.
For soldiers looking to increase their range of motion [ which will help prevent strain injuries from tabbing with bergans etc ], his methods can be done easily and simply with just a rope for equipment.

I have spoken to an ex bootneck, Hughie Morris in England, who has studied under Aaron [ I live in the States but am originally from the UK ]. Hughie has a good understanding of the human body and from talking to him, I am sure he could help some of the injured out there. Perhaps a wounded young lad living at home with his mum and dad, or some old soldiers with back/neck/leg/arm pain etc.

I have gone through literally dozens of treatment types in my struggle to regain my life. Some of the treatments were pure sh#te and cost me a lot of money. Aaron has been a guiding light in my return to health.

Just as a note: I don’t get one penny from this. When I was very ill, I swore that if I ever got out of that bed in a darkened bedroom I’d do what I could to try help others with back and leg pain.

Here are Hughie’s details:

Stretching GB
Hughie J. Morris
21 Eton Rd.
Harlington
Middlesex UB3 5HR
Tel: 020 8897 0377
Mobile: 07984 005366

Email: info@stretchinggb.com
Web: www.stretchinggb.com

Dave