Share This Page:

Where can I get a bullpup

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
munki

Where can I get a bullpup

Post by munki »

Before you all start telling me about the legal status let me present my situation.

I was in the royal marines a back then and am used to handling a service weapon if necessary. I am in the process of buying a nice yacht and am thinking of sailing the world with my wife. She really really wants to go to madagascar (because of timing the suez is the only option) and also the comoros islands. This means passing through the gulf of aden and somalia on a yacht (hmm, issues).
I'm almost certainly going to be 12 miles off the coast so it's perfectly legal anywhere (bar suez but I'm happy to hide it somewhere obscure onboard) but I'm finding it hard to get a half decent service full auto from anywhere.
This seems like a bit of a jailbait topic but it's not, I simply need a weapon which can fend off potential pirates with AK47/74s if I have to. Of course the alternate answer is to tell my wife that it's not possible but this is our dream and in fact I don't feel I should have to, and if we go into port past the northern indian ocean I'm happy to throw it overboard.
Any suggestions?
munki

Re: Where can I get a bullpup

Post by munki »

just to add about the topic title, i thought a bullpup would be better as theyre generally better in confined spaces.
Ares-God of War

Post by Ares-God of War »

Im sure you can get one in Mogadishu, i hear theyre really cheap. :wink: :D

Ares
Team work is essential, it gives them other people to shoot at. - Unknown

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Unknown

Friendly Fire, isn't - Unknown
Tab

Post by Tab »

You will need to arrange to have a certificate of use for every country you are thinking of visiting, paper work ahoy.
munki

Post by munki »

Ideally, I'd throw the thing overboard after passing somalian range/gulf of aden. I thought that the balkans might be possible or perhaps turkey/syria/lebanon before entering the suez.
There's likely a million places safely hide a weopon on a boat and customs are really only interested in finding hiding places for large consignments of drugs/arms etc. Noone would bother stripping down a 60ft boat to find something the size of your arm it's not worth the effort for a possesion of firearms charge on someone without any intent to supply.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

munki wrote: Noone would bother stripping down a 60ft boat to find something the size of your arm it's not worth the effort for a possession of firearms charge on someone without any intent to supply.
Oh really.
Customs can board and search for any reason.
Once they discover an unlicensed fire-arm intent to supply will not be your only problem.
munki

Post by munki »

It's not actually illegal, international law allows anything excpt heavy armaments so long as you are 20km off the coast which is fine and there are treaties considering the suez as international waters, once through the gulf of aden it goes overboard and I can moor anywhere without concern.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Sure,
Now tell that to the RN,USN and a shed load of other navies in the area.
Suez is NOT international waters.
Israel would just LOVE to hear from you.
If you really want to push your luck get a Mini-14.
Just stop off in the Key's,knock twice and mention my name.

As your ex RM,so you say you would have heard of"Piracy on the High Seas"
Still written into British law,technically you can still swing for it.
FPGRM anyone?
munki

Post by munki »

You're semi right about Suez, legally it's an International Waterway under Egyptian stewardship. Their rules state that you have to give all firearms to the officials at the entrance and they will securely transport them via road at regular invervals and return them at the exit. Many private and merchant vessels do this.
The other point about confiscation raises an interesting issue. Legally theft of property at sea with no legal jurisdiction is a pretty accurate description of piracy itself. For instance I'm pretty sure that my insurance company would pay out if i claimed for confiscated weapons on this basis and Marines will be well aware of this, and coastguards can only operate in their own limited waters.
Considering that it's perfectly legal to have weapons on board a vessel in international waters (in fact I've been reading on other forums that many merchant ships have gun lockers full to the brim which they simply surrender to the port authorities if they dock until they leave anchor when they are returned) I was hoping to get some advice on my original question.

Thanks very much
Tab

Post by Tab »

You should also bear in mind that the pirates out there carry some pretty hefty weapons that would chew up your boat and any one in it.
timex

Post by timex »

If you're intending to fight off pirates then you'll need something a bit bigger than a bullpup, while you're fighting off the pirates what will your wife be doing?

When you lose the battle with the pirates, (which you probably will as they will be in multiple boats with RPG,RPD's and AK's) what happens to your wife and you (if you survive)?

Personally I think you need to rethink the whole route and sadly dissappoint your wife, lets face it you're sailing the World ...and why spend time in a Turkish jail? :shocked!: :shocked!:
munki

Post by munki »

Personally I think you need to rethink the whole route and sadly dissappoint your wife, lets face it you're sailing the World ...and why spend time in a Turkish jail?
hah! yep, there is this factor and I have to be honest that I'm kind of going off the idea but it's just that the actual probability of being attacked by pirates is about the same as being carjacked in Manchester but my thoughts were that the skiffs they use bounce around the water like hell, mine stays very still in the water indeed and a auto/semi auto bullpup with an effective fire range of even only 300 yards gives me ages to get the single outboard motor, I could lay down 100 rounds before they might have even a half chance of hitting the mainsail. They'd hopefully be aware that a 50km paddle back to land without a motor or with casualties isn't really worth the effort.
And RPGs in my experience (which is quite limited, Iraq/Afghanistan were before my time) are as accurate as beckhams penalties (and that's only 11m ;-)

Mind you I saw black hawk down and it would seem that the Somalis are pretty handy with them.
ofens

Post by ofens »

I've been following this and come to the conclusion that surely what you need is an eyepatch, cutlass, and a jolly roger flag.
That way you could strike fear into the rotten guts of any half-hearted pirates, and at the same time be prepared and dressed for the event that any real pirates turn up on the scene.
Hope this helps.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

I have seen pirate boats on the News Programmes with .5 Browning machine guns on them, now if you want to take that on in the open while sitting in a tiny boat, then you must have death wish.
munki

Post by munki »

Finally managed to get it sorted and totally legally, thanks for your help.