Share This Page:

Question about SA80

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
DaleT

Question about SA80

Post by DaleT »

I've been wanting to become a regiment gunner for a while, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fire the SA80 properly! I am left-eye dominant but right handed and wear glasses, and though I can see perfectly with both eyes open or with just my left eye, I can't see fantastically with my right eye (My prescription is WELL within the max. amount of correction allowed, but my right eye is still a bit blurry with glasses). Learning to fire from the left shoulder wouldn't be a problem for me, but as I'm fond of my teeth I don't think that it would be a possibilty, however, trying to use my right eye to sight with would be a problem. When I've shot air pistols and rifles (right-handed) I've just cocked my head over so that my left eye is aligned with the sights, but I don't know if I'd be able to do this with a real rifle, especially with a scope attached? I wouldn't want to start the application process and then be kicked out after 10 weeks because I have to cock my head over, do you think this would be a problem?

Thanks
Tab

Re: Question about SA80

Post by Tab »

You would have a great deal of diffuclty in firing the SA80 like that
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Have you fired an sa80 before? Or even holded one? We had a guy in our section possibly like you.. He got an eye patch to start with, over time he learned to focus with his right. He was one of the best shots in the whole coy.. Practice makes perfect!
Sniper84

Post by Sniper84 »

DaleT wrote:I've been wanting to become a regiment gunner for a while, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to fire the SA80 properly! I am left-eye dominant but right handed and wear glasses, and though I can see perfectly with both eyes open or with just my left eye, I can't see fantastically with my right eye (My prescription is WELL within the max. amount of correction allowed, but my right eye is still a bit blurry with glasses). Learning to fire from the left shoulder wouldn't be a problem for me, but as I'm fond of my teeth I don't think that it would be a possibilty, however, trying to use my right eye to sight with would be a problem. When I've shot air pistols and rifles (right-handed) I've just cocked my head over so that my left eye is aligned with the sights, but I don't know if I'd be able to do this with a real rifle, especially with a scope attached? I wouldn't want to start the application process and then be kicked out after 10 weeks because I have to cock my head over, do you think this would be a problem?

Thanks
Yes mate it would be a problem. The charging handle is set right back where your cheek would be. I'm the same, I'm left eye dominant too. One of the many reasons I hate the SA80. When I was in the TA I was told by the Corporal instructing us in weapons handling, "with this weapon, there is no left hand, unless you want to lose your teeth & have your face burned to f**k!" (very articulate man) Not really a gamble worth taking methinks. Sorry to break this to you mate, but you'll have to learn right hand gun handling very quickly. I know it's difficult, but you'll get at least half way there in the end.

Adopting a right hand only weapon was a bloody stupid idea on the governments part, especially a crapbox like the SA80. Most other countries have left hand friendly designs and they listen to feedback from the military. But as usual, it's all down to money with our government. Call me old fashioned if you like, maybe a bit cliche, but I still believe a weapon meant to feel comfortable & natural in the hands of the firer.
Tab

Post by Tab »

The old .303 rifle was designed for right hand use only, but every one got used to it, now every one expects the rifles to be tailored for there own use.
ofens

Post by ofens »

Yeah you'll have to learn right handed/eyed use.
I really like the eye patch idea above, you could try using that now in advance for preparation, teach yourself to perform tasks like puzzle solving and technical things with your dominant eye covered up.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]