Share This Page:

SA80

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
Sisyphus

SA80

Post by Sisyphus »

What's the 'pull pressure' on an SA80 trigger mechanism? I'm assuming it's part of the spec - but is it?
Cromlech

Post by Cromlech »

Trigger Pull
3.12 - 4.5kg

Can't post links yet hehe! It's at:

armedforces.co.uk/army/listings/l0041.html
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Cheers Cromlech.

I knew someone would know!! :wink:
WOW! That hurt.

Re: SA80

Post by WOW! That hurt. »

Why don't the SF ever use the SA80??? If its a good piece of kit why not use it?
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

WOW! That hurt. wrote:If its a good piece of kit why not use it?
You got to be kiddin' right? :lol:
It's a big debate! 8)
WOW! That hurt.

Could you elaberate your statements a bit more? Telling me that it is a debate, doesnt actually give me any real info.

Is it because the SA80 is a British weapon and SF doesn't wish to advertise what nationality they are or is it because it doesnt stand up to par? or what?......
"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." - George Bernard Shaw
ofens

Post by ofens »

If you try searching this forum (and others) you'll see what he means.
There are many for and many against it.

The majority of "users" I have met have agreed that we have it because it is cheaper to give everyone that than anything else...regardless of how good it is (or isn't!)...
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
WOW! That hurt.

Hmmm well that's disappointing. I was always told that the SA80 was a brilliant. A mate of mine who is of former military origin and now a gunsmith told me it was, in theory, just as accurate as an AR but compact so that room clearing was easier. [when he said that he was reffering to a full sized AR] The only problems i could imagine [in my extensive inexperiance with this is firearm] is that the bolt release looks like it makes reloads a pain. That and a "old" soldier told me that the A1's jammed like a bitch.
lsguk

Post by lsguk »

The trouble that our SF had with it is mostly to do with the reliability issues of the A1 in anything but sterile conditions; thus causing them to opt for the American M4/M16 families (now C8s).

The 80 is still a highly accurate weapon but it has a few flaws, such as ambidextrous firing capacity.

However, as mentioned before, the bullpup design (magazine behind the trigger mech.) does allow for a smaller overall length whilst still keeping a good barrel length resulting in no loss of accuracy.
Tab

Post by Tab »

You will find very few complaints about the SA80 these days, It is a compact weapon ideal for street warfare yet has the range as well if you need it. As far as it was designed to be used by right handed people, well so what. The old Enfield rifle was a right handed weapon but every one learnt to use use even those left handed.