Share This Page:

Browning DA 9 vs Glock 17: Advice

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
hunter_zealot

Browning DA 9 vs Glock 17: Advice

Post by hunter_zealot »

I've signed up for Officer Training in the local Defense Force (Regiment/Army Branch), and after my basic training i'll be given the choice of either a BDA 9 or a Glock (the 17 i believe).
I've tried to do whatever research i can, but the info i can get my hands on is limited. Plus i have no practical experience with either firearm. Can anyone help me with this decision, technical and personal advice maybe?
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Both weapons are a little light and too fast.
The Browning is a delightful sidearm for target practice,easy to clean and use.The Glock 17 is a little more complex but again a good sidearm.
If you get the choice go for a Glock 22..40 caliber,slower heavier round with almost no through and through.The nines are too fast and light unless you can chose your load which in your situation is not likely.
Hope this helps.

Buffalo Bill.
hunter_zealot

Post by hunter_zealot »

If i had the choice of a higher caliber i would take it. But unfortunately both are only goin to be offered to me as 9mm

Im leaning towards the the browning, as its more accurate than the glock over a longer distance, even if it has a couple less rounds. The glock is lightweight and has less recoil too, but that could also cause a problem. Was takin into consideration a simple hypothetical. Lets say im sent from camp omega to camp ogden (a 20min drive) to deliver something, but in a non-military vehicle (thus the driver and i will not be permitted to carry a rifle, and i would have at most 1 extra magazine for my side arm). An incident occurs and a group of 5 men at a range open fire and hits the driver. I exit the vehicle, take cover to return fire. The low recoil may encourage me to fire off more rounds, also the range may cause a problem (would for any handgun but still, more so with the glock). I want the most outa each round fired, cuz if i run out of ammo...well jus hada hide and pray that support arrives soon,lol.

Another deciding factor (probably the most important) is, which gun packs more of a punch (i know though that it wouldnt be that big of a difference though)? (would so much prefer a .45 lol)

I heard the browning has it over the glock with safety as well, but the glock is designed that way to be more combat ready (guess thats what makes it popular with law enforcement).

On the issue of field stripping and cleaning, the browning is so sexy for that :). Btw, do u know if the browning has any problems jamming? (takin into consideration also that im in a tropical country and if i get into infantry would be in the bush a lot with it, i.e. plenty dirt and mud).
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Firstly,it's not the pistol that packs the punch,it's the round.
As too jamming,I never had a problem with the Browning unless I had a low propellant round in the magazine which could cause the blow back to not quite eject the casing of the previous round.
The Glock 17 is the smaller sister of the 22 and is the only Glock that has barrel compensation.If you get the chance play with a Glock 37..45GAP,slightly shorter than the .45ACP it still packs some energy.

You can get fifteen and even twenty round magazines for the Browning,I once saw a thirty but it didn't fit too well.
Beachley Boy

Re: Browning DA 9 vs Glock 17: Advice

Post by Beachley Boy »

I recently retired from the Police Force in Sydney, Australia. Upon retirement my service pistol was the Glock 17 automatic pistol. This weapon has been on issue to our police since around 2001, prior to that I had a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver. Glock was a very nice weapon, take it. :P

Interesting to note British Army still has the 9 mil Browning, that sidearm has been in use with the Australian Army since the late 60's and still is.

The basic weapon for Australian 'grunts' is the F88 Steyr.
Sniper84

Post by Sniper84 »

I still reckon the Browning (HP not DA) or the Sig P226 but the Glock is still a decent enough bit of kit. The Browning system is time proven & the locking mechanisms on the latter two are very similar. The only real drawback with the Browning HP is the 13 round capacity whereas the Glock holds 17 and the P226 holds 15 rounds. it loses out there, but the HP is still on a par with both pistols accuracy wise but they're all good and available in a wide range of calibres. Your best bet might be to handle (possibly fire) a few to see which suits you best and talk to a few people.

Just a suggestion, mind.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

The P1935 Browning HP has not been issued to UK armed forces for quite some time.
The US dropped the 9mm round as too light and fast as I have mentioned elsewhere.
As a police officer I preferred the Glock 22 in 40S+W.Much slower and heavier with little chance of a through and through.