Share This Page:

Best Service Rifle in the World

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.

Best Service Rifle in the World

AUG
14%
SCAR
18%
FN 2000
2%
C8
23%
TYPE 95
No votes
G36
25%
AN94 (AK47)
18%
SIG 550 family
No votes

Total votes: 44

Sir Hawkwood

Post by Sir Hawkwood »

Where's the L85? :bad-words:
www.ontheroadthailand.com
www.divinglore.com
Tab

Re: Best Service Rifle in the World

Post by Tab »

I have never heard or seen a 9 mm Browning SMG in the British Army. Now SA 80 Mk 2 which I have used in a number of training exercises and I have found it a great gun. The Bullpup design makes it compact for carrying in confined spaces and for house clearance and with with barrel coming right back into the butt it gives you the range and accuracy that is required in the field. The sights on this gun are good and have just been upgraded even further, okay the 5.56 round may not be so hard hitting as the 7.62 round but if a 5.56 round hits you then it will make a right mess of you as that is what it is designed to do. Now as for changing different barrels for different rounds then you are creating even more problems as you have carry all this stuff and with the smaller round you can carry even more of them that you can of the larger round. At one times the British Army had a large number of guns all firing a different size round now they have got it down to just a couple of different sizes. Would I be happy to use one back in the days when I was in the front line then the answer would be yes I would
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

As Tab knows the Bullpup was first mooted in 1947 but for the 7mm round.
The first prototypes were accurate and heavy hitting.Unfortunately when the US pulled out of Vietnam there was so much 5.56 ammunition around that it was adopted(after a little bullying by the US)as the standard NATO infantry round.
Tab

Post by Tab »

In 1947 Britain produced its own 7 mm Assault Rifle, but due to pressure from the Americans it was canceled. The pressure that led up to this was trying to standardize the NATO bullet so that all the countries were using the same size bullet. Now the Americans had billions of .30 rounds left over from WW2 and successful pressed that this should become the standard NATO bullet.

The British 1947 7mm Bullpup Rifle

Now as time passed so did the the size of the bullet that NATO wanted to use and the next standard was a 5.56 round, so Britain dug out it's old Bullpup rifle and redesigned it to use the new 5.56 round. Now like the American M16 rifle the new Bullpup rifle had a number of problems which where corrected, and the troops now have a very good gun and you don't here any complaints from those who are using it in action. Now the Bullpup can be fitted with all sorts of extras including a grenade launcher, so why change some thing that is working well and is doing every thing that you ask it to do. There are many new rifles coming out on the market but there is not a lot of difference between all of them except the price

Now your comment about the problems for left handed people using the this rifle, now the old .303 could only be used by right handed people and all the left handed people learnt to use it firing it right handed or does it mean that people a few years back where able to adapt better than they can today. Now every change made on these new rifles just bungs the price up each time. The SAS have there own budget and they can buy and try what ever they like but until these guns are battlefield tested by some of the idiots that might use them you don't really know just how they will turn out..

Also I left the army some 50 years ago but I have still been able to handle most of the latest kit infantry kit in use.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

You try putting rounds down-range left handed with an SA80.You end up with a mouthful of cocking handle and teeth everywhere except in your mouth :-?
Tab

Post by Tab »

The way the 5.56 round is designed makes it tumble through a persons body rather than go through it when it hits. Now with out proper medical help the odds on any Taliban living once hit is small in most cases. Those that continue to fire once hit are often looking for that next shot to stop their pain for ever and hoping to take an infidel with them. Which ever way it goes they will be brown bread
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I think,and this is an educated guess that the tumbling was a fortunate mistake which Colt then maintained was their idea.The muzzle velocity of the 5.56 is so fast and the round so light that although travelling in the prescribed parabolic arc onto target it is a little unstable in forward flight.
I have seen the same effect with a Browng P1935 when discharging the Winchester Black Talon round which is now ilegall in the United States due to it's"Cop Killing"abilities.I don't think it just chose my collegues and I rather something which sounded scary in the press :roll:
cherylfoster

Post by cherylfoster »

The Lorenz Austrian gun rifle used in the mid-19 century. It was used in many European wars, and also emerged in the American Civil War. The Lorenz rifle muzzle loader percussion, and as such was similar in design to the Enfield 1853 pattern British and American Springfield rifle guns. Download this design and solid shot, along with inconsistent diameters, contributed greatly to the poor performance and inconsistent with guns to Lorenz.
harbinger

Post by harbinger »

I'm a big fan of the bullpup desing, so I went with the AUG. Apart from that I'd have to say the G36, because it's German :D
Ash21

Post by Ash21 »

Personally i'm shocked that the walther g22 isn't on here in .223 calibre. The australian kangaroo mounted regiments swear by it! (forgive me, spent the night trawling the Arrse forums)
Hope for the best, plan for the worst. Either way just bloody get on with it!
ofens

Post by ofens »

RE: tumbling of 5.56 round...
This occurs in the Colt due to lower the rifling (less turns per unit length).
In the SA80 the rifling is much tighter (more turns per unit length), leading to greater accuracy and removing the tumbling effect.
Therefore a very different result from the same round.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Post by Tab »

the 5.56 round is far flatter at the nose than the older 303 rounds and there fore cause more damage when they hit some one.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I have never even seen an SA80 let alone peered at it's rifling.
The longer barrel length of the AR/M series Colt should compensate for it's slightly less tight rifling.
Still I get yelled at for my preference so what would I know.I have a phot of the 60cal.Brown Bess in all it's rusted glory above my bunk.Reminds me how lucky I was to have an SLR :D
ofens

Post by ofens »

...actually the SA80 secretes a slightly longer barrel in its bullpup design :p
I will pull the hood up on my anorak and get back to spotting trains now!
I've always thought the AR/M looked cooler, maybe because I don't associate it with getting me into trouble for being dirty :oops:
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
IrishDigger

Post by IrishDigger »

There would not be many who could say which was the best service rifle in the world and I guess it comes down to what rifle we were trained on.

In my view, the best operational weapon and rifle for parade drill was the SLR.

I've used the .303 and the Styer but I spent 30 years with the SLR and so I guess I'm a bit biased. :) :soldier_salut:

Cheers.