Share This Page:

24 year record

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
MSI64

24 year record

Post by MSI64 »

So students got their results today and lo and behold its another Record year for passes!!!

24 years running and your trying to tell me that Exams are not getting easier! Are you trying to tell me that youngsters are getting smarter and smarter year by year?
Last year 85% of students went off to University, So we got an increase of 15% to the workforce. How many of those students actually studied and passed and then went on to use that Degree to get the job they studied for?
Waht the Hell is an A* anyway??? In my day an A was the top of the tree, but now we have an A*, does this mean you got 100% right ?? How can you get better than top marks?? Or are we saying an A* is an old A?? Or have we dropped the % that get you the grades you want??
Yes Im an old fart and yes Im bitter and twisted, but putting it top of the News and trying to tell me its the truth is a little patronizing!!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Tab

Re: 24 year record

Post by Tab »

Now I left school before such things as O or A levels were brought in and GSE has not been thought of. When you went for a job they picked you because they thought you could do the job and trained you to it, if couldn't do it you looked for another job. These days they get education by the bucket load but can they get a job.
daz89

Post by daz89 »

I hated school.. Me and my friends never went, hardly done any exams but now have the best jobs. I have schoolmates who stayed on and went to university to get more 'qualifications' etc.. Now there working in Sainsburys and mcdonalds! Grades have never meant nothing to me Iv always had a good attitude at work and put a bit graft in.. Surely thats all people should need! As for they grades you where on about I sat gcse's and dont have a clue about them except getting a 1 was good and a 7 a fail etc.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

It depends on the individual and what they want to do. Some jobs, such as journalism require that you can spell properly and use proper grammar for example.

And would you really want to go to hospital and be treated by someone who had no qualifications? Or be represented in court by an unqualified lawyer, or work in a building not designed by a qualified architect........................etc....................

Sure some people can make a decent living with no qualifications - but this can't possibly apply in all cases. In fact it can't apply in very many cases.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Im sorry but lets stop telling kids that everyone can go to college/University??? We all know it isnt true. Stop dropping standards to let Johhny who wants to study Media and music to Degree level go to University and then drop out half way through.
Not everyone is going to set the world on fire, Kids now want to be top flight footballers but are not prepared to come up through the ranks!! people who think the world owes them a top job instantly because of crap like X-Factor and those other, miss out the middle to get to the top type of shows!!
More kids aged five are passing A levels!!!! What does that tell you?? Which is more feasible Five year olds are getting smarter year after year or Exams are being made easier????
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Sorry about what? I tend to agree with you. The great university boom was started in the early 80s by the Tories in a bid to keep the unemployment figures down and continued by Labour for exactly the same reason. It turned into THE boom industry. Students getting E at A level or, even, failing were coaxed into university. They clearly didn't have an academic flair but were taken in to tertiary education which was completely beyond their capabilities.

Drop out rates in the first year are about 10%, with the figure higher for those failing to complete their degrees. In some universities the rate has been 35% with plenty in the 20-30% range. A complete waste of taxpayers money and a waste of time for students who would have been better off finding another way into the job market!
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

p.s. I was an invigilator at a High School for this year's exams. I feel sure they are easier than in 1965 (no integration or differentiation at 'O level standard' Maths and not tested until A level, for example) However, don't think that they are as easy as the tabloids make them out to be.

And the kids themselves (who are interested) do put in a tremendous amount of effort in. They can only respond to what they're being taught and answer the questions they are set.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

In my day it was only grades A, B and C that were deemed to be valid passes. These days everything down to Grade E is still a 'pass', hence the twisted figures of high percentage pass rates. .....and because of this 'logic' you have young guys and gals putting these amazing 'D' and 'E' results on thier CV's as if they'll still impress potential employers. :roll:
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Are you referring to AB&C grades being thought the equivalent to the old GCE? A to E grades were all GCSE passes but A-C were said to be equivalent to a GCE.

Back in '65 GCE pass grades were A to E
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

:(

Extend the length of education in order to hide the third and fourth generation unemployment.

Cheap beer/booze and tobacco to keep the common man satisfied and passive.....

Remember who closed the mines when "They" needed a more flexible workforce ( didn't work)
no-one moves from Birtley.

Good luck to your new Government - and to your goodselves...
Trog
45 Recce yomper

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Tab

Post by Tab »

At one time you used to sit down and take the examination in full, all the course work that you have down loaded from your computer would not count towards the exam when these exams first came out. These days the course work counts for more than the exams and even your mum and dad can do your course work and No one is to know. Is it any wonder that more and more people are getting top marks.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Mum and dad??? What about grandad!? Although I'm not sure I should have used 'transmogrification' in a 12 year old's essay - maybe a giveaway! :wink:

But there's nothing new under the sun. I remember getting back a marked essay from my homework in c.1961ish. The teacher had written on it: 'A good essay. Well done, dad!'
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Pilgrim Norway.. Spot on mate!