Share This Page:

What fills your soul?

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Obi Wan Kenobi

What fills your soul?

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

For the last five years I have only visited UK in the summer.

Due to unforseen circumstances, I'm back for a couple of weeks and staying near Perth, Scotland.

Went for a run through the woods this morning. The first signs of Autumn, damp woodland smell, slightly chilly. Glorious!

I'd forgotten those sights, smells and sounds.
Soldier_Girl

Re: What fills your soul?

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Obi w@#k wrote:For the last five years I have only visited UK in the summer.

Due to unforseen circumstances, I'm back for a couple of weeks and staying near Perth, Scotland.

Went for a run through the woods this morning. The first signs of Autumn, damp woodland smell, slightly chilly. Glorious!

I'd forgotten those sights, smells and sounds.
Welcome back! Hope your short time back here is enjoyable!

The thing that I can honestly say I enjoy the most, is waking up at the crack of dawn on a Sunday, jumping on my bike, and riding through the hills! It has to be early in the morning, when no one is around, and the roads are quiet!
The speed, the sounds ... the power! It's intense. And not to mention the beauty that surrounds you ...
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope." - Winston Churchill
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Soldier_Girl,
Thanks.

I was with you all the way until I saw your location..................South West London? Hills?
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Obi w@#k wrote:Soldier_Girl,
Thanks.

I was with you all the way until I saw your location..................South West London? Hills?
Ah, no ... afraid there are no hills in SW London.
Sadly, this is something I used to do back home, in SA, but sold my bike when I moved over to the UK.
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

SA?

Another place that fills my soul.
I was lucky enough to visit Durban in 1997. We were working near Bloemfontein and had a spot of R&R. During my time there, I managed to realise one of my ambitions............to visit Rorke's Drift. Awesome!

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... ght=rorkes
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Obi w@#k wrote:SA?

Another place that fills my soul.
I was lucky enough to visit Durban in 1997. We were working near Bloemfontein and had a spot of R&R. During my time there, I managed to realise one of my ambitions............to visit Rorke's Drift. Awesome!

http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/ ... ght=rorkes
Yep ... the rainbow nation ... it's where I'm from.

I'm quite surprised at how you feel about SA ... it's so nice to hear that! It's unfortunately a very different place now, to what it was when you were there in 97. Have you been there recently?

I'm impressed that you made the effort to visit Rorke's Drift ... I must admit to not actually appreciating the country while I lived there, so I've not really seen much of the historical sites it has to offer (which I should actually be ashamed of).
Did you manage to visit any other war memorials/sites, while you were over there?
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

I had a great time there. The locals in Durban were very hospitable.
Unfortunately we only had a short time there and RD was the only historical site I managed. Our guides wouldn't even take us the extra few miles to Isandlwana!
HRH

Post by HRH »

I spent a few months in Plettenberg Bay in 2006 was one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Did the Table Mountain climb in Capetown too was great fun

People were lovely everywhere I went

Where abouts do u come from?
BARB - 78
ADSC - Passed
Job - Combat Medic
ATR Pirbright - 15.03.10
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

Obi w@#k wrote:I had a great time there. The locals in Durban were very hospitable.
Unfortunately we only had a short time there and RD was the only historical site I managed. Our guides wouldn't even take us the extra few miles to Isandlwana!
I'm glad to hear that you were treated hospitably. If that's one south african trait that I am proud of; it's the friendliness and kindness of the people!
It's a pity you weren't able to visit Isandlwana ... it would've been a fitting end to the RD visit!

Ah well ... plenty of time for you to go and visit there again!
Soldier_Girl

Post by Soldier_Girl »

HRH wrote:I spent a few months in Plettenberg Bay in 2006 was one of the most beautiful places I've seen. Did the Table Mountain climb in Capetown too was great fun

People were lovely everywhere I went

Where abouts do u come from?
Plett is absolutely stunning ...
Did you manage to get to Chapman's Peak as well?

I am from Johannesburg ... a city girl!