Share This Page:

LEEDS bin men on strike (yet again)

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Tab

Post by Tab »

When this happen in london some years back a load od residents took their bins and empty them on the Town all steps, now that did not go down a bundle but it was soon cleared away
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Funny you mentioned that, as I mentioned to my other half the other day that If they didn't collect it soon that Id take it all and bin it on the local town hall steps! Id of made the papers and if they tried fining me Id of said take it out of my council tax you owe us!
'Every man an Emperor'
Pj_Boro

Post by Pj_Boro »

I don't know as to where you get your info from that bin men are on £22K+ I work for Middlesbrough Council and we have been through the job evaluation what Leeds are going through now!
All Councils and Unions knew that women workers were underpaid for many years but this was swept under the carpet.
The Council said that the job evaluation would have little impact as most would gain or stay on the same salary few would loose they also said with the yearly wage rises we would not feel the affect on our wages as the reduction of wages through the Job Evaluation would be taken off over a 3yr period.
We have now entered our fourth year and many bin men in Middlesbrough have lost between £3k to £6k through the job evaluation this has taken our take home pay Back 10 Years!( I earned more then than I do now ). My yearly wage has just gone up to £16,053.74 from £15,894.71 with the 1% wage rise.
Things are to get worse as the council look to cut overtime so that means less money yet the Bills still go up!
So I Wish The Bin Men I Leeds All The Best!!
wannabe-rifleman

Post by wannabe-rifleman »

Me dads pal is one of the binmen on strike in leeds and he has been hasked to take a £4'500 pay cut per year, would you stand for that?
ITC Catterick - 10th January 2010.
Regiment - The Rifles.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Just hearsay, but from your figures if your on 15k now after cut backs and from what your saying that some blokes lost 6k then 15k + 6k (assumming thats a typical bin man and yes I appreciate it wont be as black and white as that) then 22k wouldnt be far off. However you know better than I so Im not here to debate it.

Of course not. upon further research into their predicament I hear stories that the plonkers that run the system decided it would be ok to reduce salaries to equalize salaries with the people on a lesser wage. You simply dont do that, no matter what job it is - once your paid a wage and go into a contract of employment you dont suddenly have to face the scenario where your employers decide to cut your salary, by nearly half, in order to even things up a bit with the lesser paid staff. Everyone has a right to stand up to this whether it be the grafters or (in my opinion) overpaid footballers earning huge amounts for kicking a ball about. Its not on.
However my gripe is that as a public service which Im paying for through my taxes I dont expect my rubbish or anyone elses for that matter (From Leeds OR areas where at the minute all is fine and dandy) - to be piled high and strewn across the street. Its OK saying 'good old Bin Men you stand up for your rights' yeah I wish them well too, but in the mean time something that tax payers are paying for is not being done! I guess My annoyance in my initial post was aimed at the wrong people. The council bosses shouldnt of allowed this scenario to happen. Im hearing stories only now, after 9 weeks or so of strike action, that the council has only just began to sit down at a table and hammer out a serious deal that will resolve matters. THATS OUTRAGEOUS AND A DISGRACE if true! Well I hope The blokes get it resolved soon because there will be a public health endemic if it doesnt and then the sh*t will well and truly hit the fan.
'Every man an Emperor'
wannabe-rifleman

Post by wannabe-rifleman »

Leeds City Council made an offer about 2 weeks ago but was rejected by the union with a 92% majority vote. There are some areas of Leeds that are getting their rubbish taken by private contractors but thats is not good enough and I agree that a service we pay our taxes for should be provided no matter what the situation.
ITC Catterick - 10th January 2010.
Regiment - The Rifles.