Share This Page:

Magazines

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Ste Preece

Magazines

Post by Ste Preece »

I've been set a task by my agent of finding magazines I can submit letters or a writing column to. Can anyone suggest any that I could look at.

And please exclude the ones with scantily clad women in.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
Wholley

Re: Magazines

Post by Wholley »

Ste Preece wrote:
And please exclude the ones with scantily clad women in.
Well that's me fresh out of ideas 8)
Tab

Post by Tab »

Now what sort of magines do you want, the Undertakers weekly or the sporting life
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Ste, you're a bit evasive? What sort of mags do are you aiming for and the content of your input. I have and have read your book incidently so know who you are but your post could mean anything at all. Is there a specific group your agent wants you to attract?
Waiting for my rocket to come.
Ste Preece

Post by Ste Preece »

Sorry I should have given you more detail.

I'm looking to improve my level of writing ability as I've recently completed a novel, but want enhance my skills in the fiction arena.

Writing my two autobiographies was easy as I wrote them in the first person. However, with novels I'm writing in the 3rd person so its a little more difficult. Consequently, I've been tasked with writing letters for magazines.

Generally, I've been pointed towards the likes of Zoo, FHM and Nuts magazines as they cover stuff on the Corps. However I'm looking for other suggestions too. Remembering of course, I have extensive knowledge in Martial Arts and also many other real world.

Thanks

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
tom163

Post by tom163 »

I don't know if you can get collums in Soldier magazine?

http://www.soldiermagazine.co.uk/
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Ste Preece wrote:Sorry I should have given you more detail.

I'm looking to improve my level of writing ability as I've recently completed a novel, but want enhance my skills in the fiction arena.

Writing my two autobiographies was easy as I wrote them in the first person. However, with novels I'm writing in the 3rd person so its a little more difficult. Consequently, I've been tasked with writing letters for magazines.

Generally, I've been pointed towards the likes of Zoo, FHM and Nuts magazines as they cover stuff on the Corps. However I'm looking for other suggestions too. Remembering of course, I have extensive knowledge in Martial Arts and also many other real world.

Thanks

Steve
Is it military fiction or something else?

I'd avoid Zoo and Nuts, to be honest. Beyond tits and arse there's no substance to them. FHM and Maxim are good blokey mags without the juvenile nonsense you will find with the other two and have a more serious take on them.

It really depends on the content and the audience you're trying to attract, you know? I realise you don't want to give away your secrets but it's difficult, for me, to see you as anything other than a military author without knowing which path you're wanting to take and who your audience is? You could be writing Mills and Boon esque novels for all I know in which case I'd give a different opinion :lol:

Feel free to PM if you don't want to discuss out here in the open.
Ste Preece

Post by Ste Preece »

Hi,
my novel is military based, but my magazine letters can be on any subject, such as real world issues, military, martial arts etc.

Personally, I haven't delved into magazines much over the years, which is part of the reason for asking.

Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Is it letters to a magazine in hope they will be published?

If you're aiming for military, maybe Punchlines, Craftsman, Sixth Sense newspaper etc. My husband is REME but out in the sand with 3 CDO so RM is close to the heart here.
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

Ste Preece wrote: Any guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
If it's really about anything. Go into a shop, grab random mags, have a read through and the things that make you think, put it on paper. And when I say random, just grab from Take a Break to Horse and Hounds and just find something that inspires you to comment. If you find an inspiration, you will research it and create something fantastic. Maybe that is why your agent set the task......
Ste Preece

Thanks Guys

Post by Ste Preece »

I've got a good idea of the magazines to choose now, thanks to a fair number of people, sending me very positive ideas.

Much appreciated.

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
KODE

Post by KODE »

What about Mens Health/ Mens Fitness, its a little bit blokey but with more of a basis on training, and I know one of them had a 'RM are you tough enough' type challenge lately, so someone of your stance will be bound to have an impact!

KODE 8)
Ste Preece

Post by Ste Preece »

Thanks again.

I'll buy a load of flick through them.

Best Regards

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource
ofens

Post by ofens »

"Combat" is a good martial arts magazine to try.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Ste Preece

Post by Ste Preece »

Thanks I'll have a browse of that too.

Cheers

Steve
Steven Preece
Author of:
Amongst The Marines
Always A Marine
Wasted Resource