Share This Page:

Strange People

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
dave1234

Strange People

Post by dave1234 »

Who have you met that has been "a little unusual" to say the least ?

There are some strange people out there……..

Learning FCO’s in a field in Eastern Scotland. None of us have ever seen the place before [ or so we thought ] .There were a few small cottages within view, a stream and trees.

Very nice for training purposes.

A small farm was just to the left of our field of view. A huge ex-farmer was with us called H*********n. Nice lad but not too much activity above the shoulders. A little strange to be sure.

Apparently by sheer co-incidence that farm was where he was raised and where his folks still live. He knew all the neighbours. For whatever bizarre reason, he never told anyone about this.

The usual FCO’s were being given “Bushy top tree…. etc etc “

Then it was the farmer’s turn:

“Section !! Jimmy’s wee hoose go left …….”

All heads turned as one ………..

:o :o :o

Shortly thereafter, mortars at Sennybridge. I was servicing the rounds and putting the clips on. First live fire for me. Already was a little nervous after reports of some other mortar lads [ booties I think on Otterburn ?] who had a very bad incident previously. Passed the round to H*******n who promptly took it, turned it upside down and started to put it in the tube. Now, I know about the round having to go a certain distance to arm itself etc., and nothing is supposed to happen, but on seeing that even the old and bold has some "concerned" looks on their faces.

A very quick thinking J*** p********d grabbed him by the wrist and moved him gently away.

Back to the farm for young H*******n.

There were a few requisitions for new lightweights after that one.