Share This Page:

Fun With VIP's

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
dave1234

Fun With VIP's

Post by dave1234 »

Ever had a few laughs involving VIP’s ?

Only discovered this forum a while back and all the crap that I thought I’d forgotten about is coming pouring back….

Disbandment of 44 Brigade. Valedictory jump [ clean fatigue – lovely ]. Maggie Thatcher was leader of the opposition and came to Lyneham with a TV crew to go on the Herc. There was a rigging competition for heavy-drop amongst the various Anti-Tank Units, prior to the drop.

One of the lads must have had a medical problem which he was embarrassed about, as he would sneak a dose of a medicine called “Buckfast” [ sometimes an even stronger medication called “Lanliq”] twice a day following doctors orders.

Mrs T comes along with the Station Commander and various occifers. She stops to talk. Bobby ***** [ ex 7 RHA and 22 ] was the OC. Her eagle eyes focus on the tip of the bottle poking out from under a smock laying on the Land Rover.

“What is that ?”

All eyes are now on the offending object. A razzman from somewhere or another was part of the entourage. His eyes nearly popped out of his head.

Quick as a flash Bobby says

“Ma’am you know when they christen a ship and they smash a bottle of champagne across the bows”

“……Yes”

“Well it’s the custom on a valedictory drop to smash one of those across the rigged platform “

“Really !! How nice….”

Off she bimbled. If looks could kill from the rest of the brass….

She sat on the tailgate with a RAF jacket on and gave us a wee wave as we went out.

Drinkie-poohs were supplied after. Great day. Tons of laughs.

Bobby told us later that he was in the mess having a few sherbets and some old geezer was talking to Brigadier Chiswell. “Of course the problem nowadays is with these council house wallahs…..”. In a voice that silenced the occifers mess, an irate Bobby shouts “I’m a f!@#$g council house wallah !!”.

Happy days

Dave