Share This Page:

Travelling around Australia

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
fodd

Travelling around Australia

Post by fodd »

Well as the title says iv been talking to my folks and im planning to travel before I rejoin the marines always wanted to do it and today iv'e been given a massive headstart in the news im getting £1000 of my tax rebate so iv'e got my flights paid for im planning a working holiday just got to save up at least another £2000 minimum has anyone here ever done anything similar?

Been speaking to quite a few lads I was in RT with and there leaving to travel around oz etc just thinking I would get it out of my system while I can and before I rejoin.

Any advice anyone can give me I would appreciate it thanks.

Ross
ex nod was diagnosed with chronic compartment syndrome rejoining eventually.

currently in australia as im traveling the world before i rejoin the marines.

One Man One Life One Chance.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

You have a PM.
ADDiction

Post by ADDiction »

My cousin just got back from a six month stint in Oz, either stayed in hostel's or a rented van.

Look into hostel's mate you'll save alot of money, and you shouldn't be too bothered about the state of where you stay.

It's all part of the adventure! :wink:
xcj

Post by xcj »

I've been thinking of doing something similar next summer when I graduate. My mate will be in America by this time and i've already told him (he doesnt have an option) i'm crashing at his for at least a month. He tells me he'll be coming back home for the summer but not to worry, he doesnt have to be there! Ideally I'd want to save up loads of money and travel round the world visiting countries that i'd never otherwise go to (probs what everyone would want) but realistically that'd cost too much. I might end up just spending a month or two in a few countries (Oz would be up there) and doing whatever I could to earn a few bob.

Could end up in the pipe dream box but i've talked about it with another mate who wants to do the same so it could be a go-er. Need to find something to do with myself next summer as potentially i'm going to have an empty diary between may-jan! :o
fodd

Post by fodd »

Yeah im looking at staying in hostels to start off in im traveling around thailand for 6 weeks to begin with then going over to Oz can't wait im working 60+ hours a week at the moment to save up me money. Part of me has wanted to this for so long but always thought I couldn't afford it but im limiting myself to living on 35 pound a week so i can do it it's a chance of a lifetime and will make me a stronger person for it, When I come back im going to rejoin I had a long chat with my recruitment officer and he agreed what im doing is a good call.

aspiringofficer

Post by aspiringofficer »

I've recently come back from travelling through Thailand, Oz and NZ - one of the best experiences of my life. Did the whole thing off my own back travelling solo although I wound up meeting a couple of lads I knew from the UK while I was out there (one in Thailand, one in Australia). I made an absolute stack of mates, many of whom were the sorts of people I'd never have met in my day to day life, had a fantastic time and learnt a lot.

I can't recommend travelling enough to anyone who sets out to do it with a level head and an open mind, so I advise anyone able to get the time off to do it.

Besides that, if anyone wants any more specific info/advice about Thailand, Oz or NZ such as ways to save cash, places to stay, things to do and stuff to avoid, give me a shout.
fodd

Post by fodd »

PM inbound

AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

I'll keep in touch mate. 8)
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

My sister worked around oz said it was the best thing she has ever done, didnt want to come back! I plan on going there for two months next year, not for work though as I dont have the time. But there are certain things you need to see such as the great barrier reef, Sydney harbour (@new year) and the northeren territory.
fodd

Post by fodd »

Well all booked I leave 23rd october travelling around southern thailand and malasia before flying out to australia. Then touring oz,fiji and New zealand and on the way back to uk im flying back into bangkok and trecking through cambodia, vietnam, laous and northern thailand.

Can't wait got the adventure of a lifetime right infront of me before I rejoin fodd is a happy young man :lol: :lol:

tom163

Post by tom163 »

It sounds great mate, any room for me in your suitcase? :lol:
fodd

Post by fodd »

Tom163 wrote:It sounds great mate, any room for me in your suitcase? :lol:
Sorry mate as im going thailand my mums making me pack lots of funny balloons :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:

tom163

Post by tom163 »

fodd wrote:
Tom163 wrote:It sounds great mate, any room for me in your suitcase? :lol:
Sorry mate as im going thailand my mums making me pack lots of funny balloons :oops: :lol: :oops: :lol:
Ah well make sure you get some nice piccys :). I love looking at pics of Austrailia deserts and all that lol.
lil_dinger_bell

Post by lil_dinger_bell »

I did a year in OZ after highschool, which was the best time of my life. Of course, as all know, the East Coast is the real OZ trip, starting in Cairns and going down incrementally to Sydney.

My only suggestion would be take lots of pictures, go scuba diving, do the whitsundays, fraiser Island, and if you have 6 months before joining the corps, go to Nimbin :P

If your joining the Crops right after your trip you may want to think about the amount of booze you drink and the lack of excersize that goes into backpacking...except for the bicep curls of beer to mouth....or dancing all night long.

Im envious but am at the age where I need to get my career on.

Have fun!
RT Test - May 1st - ?
Medical Examination - May 1st - ?
P.O.C - May 5th - ?
A.I.B - May 10th - ?
fodd

Post by fodd »

Well I fly to Bankok on the 23rd october and then im spending 6-7 weeks traveling down through southern thailand and malasia then flying to melbourne from singapore. Im then meeting me best mate in Sydney for christmas and new year then were traveling up to cairns together can't wait just decided it's something I need to do before i rejoin the corps.

on my way home to uk im spending another 6 weeks traveling through cambodia,vietnam,laous and northern thailand bu going through the jungles hill trecking cant wait.

it's a good thing to do especially for later on in life as it looks very good on a Cv that you have been traveling.