Share This Page:

The festive season is upon us.

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Rogue Chef

The festive season is upon us.

Post by Rogue Chef »

I'm not religious, but there is something about Xmas carols and the victorian Christmas card image of Christmas that is endearing.
La Langosta

Post by La Langosta »

I prefer the ubiquitous Noddy Holder shouting
"ITS CHRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!"
myself.
Still, no accounting for taste.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Yes, Slade nailed it with this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWgwTe01 ... re=related
flighty

Post by flighty »

Bah, humbug. :evil:

Three bleedin' weeeks to go and already there are queues round the block in the supermarkets.

We, Chez Flighty, are buggering off to the Indian again for Christmas Day. £19.95 for four courses. Trad English, a rockin' good curry or mix ' n' match. No cooking and no washing up. Hoorah!

Roll out of bed about half eleven, at the boozer for twelve and sit down for dinner at two thirty. Then a gurt big do at ours after. :drinking:
London Boy

Re: The festive season is upon us.

Post by London Boy »

Rogue Chef wrote:I'm not religious, but there is something about Xmas carols and the victorian Christmas card image of Christmas that is endearing.
I totally agree. I just love all those olde worlde winter coaching scenes and the religious xmas cards, showing the 3 kings following the star and the Holy Family in the barn.

Now I'm an athiest, but this has nothing to do with religon. it has to do with tradition and nostalgia.

Tradition in the sense that most kids are still baptised in a church, and most couples still get married in a church, and then never visit a church again until the next hatching,matching or dispatching!

And nostaliga because they remnd us of our childhood and perhaps even of some golden period that we wish existed but perhaps never did.

Can't stand all those Father Christmas, reindeer cards and jokey cards though.
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

LB,

23rd Dec is Carols, Mince Pies (my secret recipe) and Mulled Wine at the Rugby Club.

I don't think many of us would claim to be religious (though some might say God must have helped us get to the Vets final), but a few players and wives will raise the rafters.

Hallelujah!
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

How lenient are they there on the alcohol issue, say in comparison to Saudi or Egypt?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I'm planning a little guard duty over Christmas, not to mention going on an exercise in Wales on Sunday, gets me in the season spirit. 8)
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Alcohol availability is dependent on which Emirate you are in, some are stricter than others.
Dubai, as you might imagine, is quite relaxed whilst Sharja is dry (apart from the expat club).

We are in Al Ain which is in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi. Alcohol is available at the airport bars and Duty Free. There are hotels and bars in Abu Dhabi and Al Ain where alcohol can be bought and consumed freely. Expats and non muslims can apply for an 'Alcohol Licence' which entitles you to buy alcohol from a 'bottle shop' for home consumption.

Overall the authorities are quite relaxed about it as long as you don't drink and drive, drunk and disorderly etc.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Flighty,
I thought the same about a restaurant but Ruthie's eldest son's table manners are so bad I'd be too embarrassed.
Puts me off my food just watching him eat at home.
I have threatened to buy him a high chair and some plastic bibs for Xmas.Unfortunately they are hard to find for a twenty one year old. :o
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

The season officially started for me yesterday

Listening to the Radio in the office and caught the words

"ITS CHRISTMAS TIME AND THERES NO NEED TO BE AFRAID"
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

London Boy wrote:How lenient are they there on the alcohol issue, say in comparison to Saudi or Egypt?
LB

There is an absolute ban on alcohol in Saudi. However, I have never seen so much alcohol in my life! :roll:

Almost absolutely pure alcohol which the longer-serving wives were able to turn into Gin, Brandy, Whisky, Sherry, Creme de Menthe, Tia Maria, Grand Marnier... Anything you liked really.

I have the 'recipe book' called 'The Blue Flame'* if you're interested! 8)

Mind you as it's almost pure alcohol it has to be diluted with water - if you have any concern or respect for your brain cells, that is! :drinking:

*The ingredients for the alcohol are: water, yeast and sugar. All you need then is a bit of chemical engineering and you're away! :multi:
Marina

Post by Marina »

I just love Christmas, watching the nativity story and midnight mass, the christmas trees in everyones house looking so pretty and the decorations. There are 2 house in my street, their whole houses are just covered in so many lights you can't even see the windows or the door. You don't need any street lamps because it lights up the whole road !

I going to put up my decorations tomorrow. I haven't done anything like that for a long time.Its the only time of the winter season I don't get depressed.

Any good Christmas Day anecdotes ! My Italian friend from Chingford says on on 25th, the whole 30 odd clan eat for 5-6 housr and then rewatch the Italian world cup final match afterwards !
flighty

Post by flighty »

Now, I'd be well happy to watch Italian footballers all day, every day :P

Stinky, you're about two years overdue for a visit. :roll:
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

I have just had 11 weeks off after coming back from Herrick VIII, and im on xmas leave now for another 4 weeks....hard life eh! :lol:

Happy holidays everyone. :drinking:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!