Share This Page:

Places to visit before you die!

Non Military Chat. A place for chats or dross and down right pointless posts, you decide.
Rogue Chef

Places to visit before you die!

Post by Rogue Chef »

I expect most of us are fairly well travelled, but are there any places you visited that were on your must do before I die list?
Believe it or not I never got to Gib until a couple of years after I left the Corps.
However Rorkes Drift was one place I thought I'd never get to, then on Ocean Wave ' 97 the opportunity arose when we landed in South Africa. Not to be missed!
flo

Post by flo »

Ive always said that before i die i want to go and see the 'northern lights'. I vaguely remember seeing them as a child in arberdeen but it wasnt too spectacular. i think a trip to Norway may be the order of the day.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants,
everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth!!
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Ahoy there!

Northern lights? I always thought that was Blackpool!

or

an alcoholic beverage!
BigStevie

Post by BigStevie »

The 'Wall' - the Vietnam War Memorial in D.C.

Dealey Plaza, Dallas TX

Graceland
Noz

Post by Noz »

Westerplat in Poland.

Where the Poles tried to hold back the Germans

Not a creature stirs there - eerie.

On a lighter note I would love to walk the Grand Canyon and visit New Zealand.
There are are two kinds of people:

Those who say to god, "Thy will be done", and those to whom god says, "Alright then, have it your way".

C.S. Lewis
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

Auchwitz
For reasons known to me :-?
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

goldie ex rmp wrote:Auchwitz
I've been there, it's a facinating place I would definatley recommend going. Although no one who wasn't there at the time could ever have a true idea of the scale of the suffering that happened there it's the only way to get a real insight into what happened.

It's a very humbling place especially when you see the walls lined from floor to celing with the pictures of those who dies there under the Nazis.

What Noz said about Westerplat goes double for Auschwitz when I was went there wasn't a bird in sight and it was eerily quiet.

I went with the school so we had a guided tour which was definately worth the money as they explain everything to you.
Scottish Thistle

Post by Scottish Thistle »

flo wrote:Ive always said that before i die i want to go and see the 'northern lights'. I vaguely remember seeing them as a child in arberdeen but it wasnt too spectacular. i think a trip to Norway may be the order of the day.
I've got a friend who lives in the Arctic part of Norway and this is the view from her balcony:

Midday winter moon:

November blue lights:

During dark time:

It's just stunning - I definitely plan to get a trip in before I shuffle off.
Live well - laugh often - love much
got1

Post by got1 »

Ref the Northern Lights, we had been fishing and camping on Loch Lomond and as usual in the evening had a dram or two.
My mate was a city dweller and as we were sitting there he was looking to the north and said " I didn't know they had electric railway lines up here".
They don't, he was looking at the effect in the sky to the north and there they were "The heavenly dancer's". :)
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

Alfa wrote:
goldie ex rmp wrote:Auchwitz
I've been there, it's a facinating place I would definatley recommend going. Although no one who wasn't there at the time could ever have a true idea of the scale of the suffering that happened there it's the only way to get a real insight into what happened.

It's a very humbling place especially when you see the walls lined from floor to celing with the pictures of those who dies there under the Nazis.

What Noz said about Westerplat goes double for Auschwitz when I was went there wasn't a bird in sight and it was eerily quiet.

I went with the school so we had a guided tour which was definately worth the money as they explain everything to you.
Has visited Dachau and Belsen but this place is a MUST for me to visit.
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

goldie ex rmp wrote: Has visited Dachau and Belsen but this place is a MUST for me to visit.
It will certainly be one place you will never forget you have been to and one you won't regret either. The people who take care of the camp now have done a fantastic job at honouring the vitcims memorys in a very dignified way. It's erily peaceful and is a fitting memorial to those who died there.
going grey!

Post by going grey! »

I was very lucky and went for a private tour of The Tower of London with a beefeater of an evening, walked all around The Tower and then a few drinks in the Beefeaters own bar, then watched the changing of the keys and back in the bar.
One of the best nights of my life.
Courage is knowing what not to fear.