Share This Page:

RMA Reunion

Rekindle old friendships, reunite with lost & found.
Pilgrim Norway

RMA Reunion

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Bin Gorn
Bach Nu
Arrived back here at midnight last.

I came over to the RMA Re-union after planning to meet some of 654 CS Squad in order to discuss our Fiftieth Anniversary next year.
( Five were present, not bad ).

The RMA Reunion was enough to make a grown man feel the tide coming
in through his eye sockets whilst on the parade ground with about four hundred other old geezers.

Those who have ‘done’ these RMA Reunion marching to the Band stuff before will be used to it -
I was not ! ( thirty nine years away ).

To stand in the middle bit of what felt like four hundred men and sing
' Eternal Father strong to save' and ' Praise my soul the King of Heaven'
all the while having a man in our rear rank with an enormous Welsh type
baritone voice guiding us on was fantastic. Everyone sang with great enthusiasm.

I suppose all of you practice at football matches and stuff like that –
singing "Elton John is a homosexual" etc...but this was, for me, a grand
and new experience.

As my own group marched on ( No. 1 ) I felt that we only lacked the chinstrap.
( It sounded good too ! ) No clippety clop there –
backs straight – heads high – and we started on the correct foot…….

The Drumhead Service was something to be proud of. - Awesome.

The Band were, of course, impressive. As they had been on ‘Our’ Saturday evening.

The address, by General Sir Ian Gourlay KCB CVO OBE MC set a personal and friendly note.

Try listening to Lord Nelson's Prayer, The Royal Naval Prayer and The
Royal Marines Prayer loudly rendered by a LARGE group of men all
reciting "in step" - you'll be amazed - As I was.....

The march past was also very moving. We now have the record for an "Eyes roight".
The best audience I've ever had..........

When the off duty lads at Commando had lined up in the Drill Shed for an
impromptu applauding session as we marched off I think we grew a bit
taller for each pace we took. And the lump ( I at least), had in my throat
( from the heavy dew and threatening humidity) grew larger.....

I would think that some others will write a thread on the RMA Reunion in
these pages - however it would be remiss of me not to say how impressed I was at everyone’s performance..... AND my own.

A film was made I believe - ( I hope the sound is good ! )
and if I know JR it will be available for purchase Shortly ....
JR can fix anything. A true man of action.

JR fixed my accommodation in the Cloisters, fixed transport with friendly
oppos, Gil , over for the day from Canada with a fireman, Jimmy, just in case, JR fixed 'food vouchers' ( no bag ration with boiled eggs there ) and generally looked after me – provided me with grockle and made me feel at home…as a good three badger does !
Thanks JR - you're a gentleman.

I'm going to do it again - Next Year - the Sixtieth RMA Reunion.
Always worth a trip from Norway for a good curry dinner, a mug of limers
- and excellent company. Some came from the magic Oz, some from Canada and at least one from Norway - and he was chuffed.

Howay the lads

[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Trog

It was great to meet you at long last, and thank you for your kind words in the drill shed after the parade. I've attended quite a few RMA Reunions, and the atmosphere is always something special.

I always sit in the stand and watch the guys parade due to my heart problems, but I envy you all that experience. 4 large Companies on parade, and everyone in step from start to finish. Magic.

I wish you luck with your reunion next year as we managed to find 18 of the originals, and 13 made it at the weekend for what was a very memorable occasion. 50 years felt like nothing as we remembered the days of our training, and The Grand Hotel Exmouth hosted us really well. (£33 for dinner, bed and breakfast takes some beating!) If you would like the benefit of our experience in finding our guys just pm me. The biggest surprise was that our reunion mention on the Ed Stewart Show's 'Where Are They Now' didn't have a single response! :roll:

We even got a mention from the Bandmaster during the, as ever, fantastic Band Concert on the Saturday evening. (If these girls in the Band get any smaller though, they might as well use RM Cadets uniforms!)

Image Image Image

Derek
Last edited by Rotary Booty on Fri 16 Sep, 2005 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Cheeky bugger :o
Rotary Booty wrote:If these girls in the Band get any smaller though, they might as well use RM Cadets uniforms!
someone has to wear action man's surplus kit :D
Like they'd fit in cadet kit; too wide at the bottom me thinks. Belay that, too wide all the way up :D
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Not this one I assure you!

She's a very petite French Horn player, and looked to be half the size of the Bandies around her, even though they had 'buried' her in the middle of the band. The discussion in the crowd at the Concert was how she would manage on one end of a stretcher carrying a 6' wounded Bootneck down the ladder of a naval ship! :o

Derek
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Howay the pair of you canny lads. :wink: Thought of you and JR many times over the weekend. As said elsewhere, "There`s a green-eyed little Scouser, to the south of Wanneroo. He`s envious and jealous coz he can`t be there too...."
Bloody good times by the sound of it lads, 8) whens the phots coming back from Boots? Can`t wait to see youse all :wink:
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

Harry - I've posted a song that's right up your alley on "Australia the Fair"
thread.

Derek - Thank you for your kind offer canny lad - we've gathered a few
of 654 - about eleven I think. Your methods and advice would be grand
to have. ( I even mentioned flashing at football matches, but we're a bit
stiff - in the joints that is - no - flashing messages as in 'Please move car numberXXXXX etc ).

The tiny Bandy was stood next to me in the queue at Spar - she is very
impressive - and even so - every inch a Bootneck. ( Aroma better too ).
Considering their 'other duties' doing Detox and the like wherever they
are sent they have my admiration. I was expecting a new drill :-
"About turn whilst leaving your hat in the other direction" but everything
was 'perfikk'.....
She can manage her end of the stretcher........

It was good to meet up with you - and I'm glad that your Reunion was so successful.
Everyone deserves a day like that. Just ye gan canny til
next year bonny lad..... Don't go jumping over horse fences and stay off
the dodgems.

Sticks - What a great event - and what a grand performance they all give.
Any musical device which can straighten backs and heighten chins for
old geezers like us has to be the best in the world.
Royal Marines Bands are the best - Nuff said !

One more year -
Trog
45 Recce yomper

lew

Post by lew »

I was there :D. have to say, the parade was absolutely brilliant, never seen anything like that before, I had goose bumps when the last post was played seeing all of you, (must of been a fair few hundred) standing to attention.

Got to meet some of the old and bold, don’t think I met anyone from MF though, but we were whisked away for scran pretty quickly, I only had 3 pints :o.

Ill be looking forward to the next one now.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Lew

Glad you enjoyed it, and just think, in 50 years you could be part of it!

Apart from the mini-bootie-bandie, the other topic of conversation at the reunion was our first sight of a Royal Marines recruit wearing a blue turban. :o I kid you not!

According to this Sikh nod he is excused shaving and having his hair cut. If and when he passes the Commando Course, he will then wear a Green Turban with an RM Cap Badge in it. The implications of this PC/PR nightmare are many, one of which is how this guy will be able to wear a respirator.

In my opinion, if you join the Royal Marines then you dress like a Royal Marine; what you wear in civvies is your own choice.

Derek
lew

Post by lew »

Rotary Booty wrote:Lew

our first sight of a Royal Marines recruit wearing a blue turban. :o I kid you not!
Aye, have seen him about, he stands out a little doesnt he! as for not shaving, i think, when he goes operational he will have to but when he isnt he is free to do as he will.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

foundation - 29th August
JR

Post by JR »

:D sorry about the delay on the input,been incapacitated for the last few days due to a slight mishap on the return journey home.
I did manange to capture a few pics on the new didgi thingy?.
Alan..It was a pleasure to meet you 'a true Blue' and glad to be of assistance.
Derek... Looking as fit as a 'butchers dog' posing with all the 'old and bold' squad mates?.
Sorry I had to skip off early, I had to catch the 1420 (Virgin) train from Exeter. :oops:
Like most of us the thought of a blue turban with a RM cap badge was the thin edge of the wedge :roll: Stood behind the Sikh nod in the scran queue and from what I could see 'special diet'.
The mini- bootie- bandie no doubt the girl earned the cap badge? If she can take all the flak handed out and bounce back,good on her.
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
Pilgrim Norway

Post by Pilgrim Norway »

One picture says a thousand words........

Aint she though .....

Wotcha do then JR - fall off a tiger ? :wink:

----------

Nice words Lew....good on ya.
We all had lumps in our throats at the 'Last Post'
And at Binyons Lines :
'They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them'

The response of about four hundred Old and Bold :-
'We will remember them'
must have been heard well...........
Most have something to remember.
Trog
45 Recce yomper

JR

Post by JR »

8) Alan.......Got to Birmingham New St Station,Geez that place is like 'Rorke's Drift' tried to hold back the screaming horde's had to fight me way to the next platform.slipped hence the mishap?.

Now, No 1 Company marching off the hallowed ground,every man a winner.
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
lew

Post by lew »

Pilgrim Norway wrote:One picture says a thousand words........

Aint she though .....

Wotcha do then JR - fall off a tiger ? :wink:

----------

Nice words Lew....good on ya.
We all had lumps in our throats at the 'Last Post'
And at Binyons Lines :

Yea it was pretty sobering wasn’t it? One old boy came up to me and my oppo's when we were looking at his troop photograph, they passed out in 1956, he said they passed out and within 6 months we were at Suez, he then pointed out one lad to us couldn’t of been more than 17/18 and said, "he didn't make it back", pointed to a few others and said they were no longer alive, after that he turned around and walked off.

lew

foundation - 29th August
Rotary Booty

Post by Rotary Booty »

Lew

We did meet after all - that was me you spoke to! (I don't look THAT old do I?) :wink: Image

JR

Great photos, and the one of the Band just proves my point!

Derek
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

As I've never seen her on parade before I'm quite shocked she made it in, let alone through!

Credit where credit is due, she did the training and passed for duty. Looks more like a farkin Smurf though. There was another French Horn player who WASN'T allowed to do massed bands because he was over 6'9"... imagine him, next to her!
It seems you lot had a great time and showed the future of the Corps what pride is... some of those marching should be on zimmer frames but stand tall when the regimental march is played.
Thanks for the Laurels and let us trust they are in safe hands
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...