Share This Page:

A Rant

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
MSI64

A Rant

Post by MSI64 »

I realize that not all the TA are the same. But this has pissed me off Royally.

We have just spent thousands of pounds on training for an individual to deploy on Ops.
He volunteered for this tour, he isnt a pressed man.
Now with only three months left before OPTAG he has decided he doesnt want to go.
No Loyalty no Integrity and has gone down in my estimation.
Now we hear the One Army line thrown around a lot by the TA and to me this is the reason Regular soldiers never take this tagline seriously.

And to make matters worse he can LEGALLY snub his nose at us and stick two fingers up to the system.
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Erwin Rommel (Desert Fox)
Tab

Re: A Rant

Post by Tab »

To be quite honest I think the Government are taking the urine on this one. At one time a TA soldier was just there as a back up in case some thing nasty happened. Well some thing nasty did happen, the government of the day [Labour ] slashed a large number of Regiments to save money and sold of the Barracks for a huge profit. Then they went into Iraq and Afghanistan and then wanted the TA to cover there shortfall in troop numbers, which often means that they have to leave well paid jobs to go and be a soldier. Now what happens when they get back from their tour, they are thrown right back into their normal job with out break and because they have been missing for a while other people may have been promoted in front of them. When a regular comes back he is off on leave and then there is a quite build up of work and training for a regular. Looking at that would do a tour as a TA soldier and lose out at home.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Apart from the fact the guy is

A Unemployed

B Now has five AT quals under his belt, all of which he can use in Civ Div

C It was a tour in Cyprus covering AT for troops

Now tell me this idiot is actually losing something from six months paid work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility."

"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad."

Tab

Post by Tab »

I agree with you he is a bum, but then things should be tightened up.
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Agreed the TA should be put on three year contracts. Not talking about compulsory Mobilization but if you fail to attend a course you should have to pay back that money.
I have seen first hand how alot of the TA milk the system, take everything but give nothing back.

ofens

Post by ofens »

I would gladly and wholeheartedly take his place!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

Would be interesting to know what unit? I'd confidently predict it wouldnt be 4 Para. Their all chomping at the bit for a scrap. I also think its a bit too easy to get out of an obligation in the stabs - but to me that says more about the individual than the unit. That said it shouldnt be so easy, like you say a contract should be drawn up that must be adhered to. When I was in 4para it was fairly quiet on the 'getting warred up' scenario so most people done the old S Type engagements in N.Ireland but that was voluntary and limited to numbers as of when. I think now if this 'one army' thing is to be taken seriously then the 'on call 24/7' approach as per the regulars should be the norm - otherwise what on earth is the point? Imagine a (highly improbable in reality) scenario where everyone in that unit suddenly had same idea and didnt want to do it anymore? Bit of a joke.
'Every man an Emperor'
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

The US DoD went a long way to solving this problem within the various National Guard units in the 1960's.What happenend was this.
1)You signed up for three years(State and Army Guard)
2)You would serve at any time with your parent unit,given due notice.
3)Employers could be fined for passing over or terminating ANY serving Guardsman due to Guard commitments(Now THAT solved a major problem)

This did not apply to Air Guard(Aircrew) as they were fly boys and the training was a whole lot more expensive.
Also not to Coast Guard who were mostly full-time.

At the end of satisfactory service your GI Bill entitlements kicked-in which included up to $20'000 for a college fund.

If you were hurt on active duty then the Veterans Administration took over you and your families well-being(This last part has'nt worked out too well.)
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I think if our MOD didnt drag their heels, thought things through at times and took a similar stance to the US then there wouldnt be this 'us and them' attitude. I know how the regs feel anyway about stabs as i served in the regs, but i also witnessed it whilst at 4 Para and to be quite honest whilst we were gleaming beacons of TA proffesionalism and soldiering fitness guru's - we could see alot of the TA units out there were (in my time) glorified dads army drinking dens - very undisciplined and looked like a bag of sh*te. you know the sort. ill fitting helicopter landing pad berets,webbing looking like it was gonna fall apart, ammo pouches open, yoke/bergen straps to the ankles etc etc and haircuts from the 70's... and that was just the officers. :turn-l:
'Every man an Emperor'
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Gun's,I don't know how you worked that one out but you are quite right.
There is not a"them and us"attitude between Guard and Regulars
The US system also offers a few more choices than the British way.
If you happen to be a high school grad.looking to go to college you can......
a)sit around smoking pot and hope your parents can afford it.
b)try for a scholarship(yeah,right.)
c)Join the Armed Forces for three years and get $20.000 for your college fund plus all kind of other enhancements
d)Join the Armed Forces with a"commitment to Serve"and get to college for free with education going toward pensionable"time served"unless,of course you end up a little bit dead during active service.
Thats the only teeny problem. :wink:
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

As a top up to this story.

After spending 109 days this year training this guy who now decides that he doesnt want to go On OP Tosca, he is now asking why he is barred from training till April?

Maybe its because you are 90 days over your alloted 19 as a non deploying soldier f@#k knuckle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kyle-jdm

Post by kyle-jdm »

i am currently looking to join the the TA or the RMR and i agree that if you volunteer to go on op you should be held to it just like any other legal contract, infact until just there i was unaware that a TA soldier could refuse mobilisation/deployment never mind change their mind after agreeing to go! Everyone i have spoke to and my internet research seem to be quite vague with me on the whole deployment aspects of the TA and RMR though im a bit confused. Could this guy do this if he was in RMR or is it different rules there? shocking nonetheless, when i sign up for either reserves i intend to take my commitment very seriously, they arent training me for nothing.