Share This Page:

Considering the TA

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
n1kk137

Considering the TA

Post by n1kk137 »

Hi there, have been into my local recruitment office but only had a chef and medic's post avaiable.

Anyone here a medic without any medical experience. Also, any tips on how to start running

Not sure what else i could do in the TA, looking for something that's involved and exciting 8)
Zippy

Re: Considering the TA

Post by Zippy »

n1kk137 wrote:Hi there, have been into my local recruitment office but only had a chef and medic's post avaiable.

Anyone here a medic without any medical experience. Also, any tips on how to start running

Not sure what else i could do in the TA, looking for something that's involved and exciting 8)
Hi,

I'm a recruiter for the Royal Yeomanry, a TA regiment that does formation reconnaissance and CBRN. Over the summer I also did my CMT III course, which is the basic 2 week battlefield first aid course, and I am definately not a medic in civvy street.

Most people on this course had no prior medical experience, although a couple were professional medics. So, if you want to be a TA medic, definately give it a go! You will get all the training you need, and the skills you develop would be well-valued.

I am not a chef, but just spoke to my Regimental Chef, and she says the training starts with a 2 week basic course designed for people with no prior experience in that field.

There are well over 100 different jobs out there in the TA, and you are not tied to one of them. You are always free in the TA to join another unit or re-train in a new military trade at any time. I find life in the TA really exciting, and have been all over the world. Even the 'basic' stuff of learning to be a soldier who can live and fight anywhere is really good to do, and very involved and challenging.

If you want to find out about other TA units in your area, and the jobs they are recruiting for, you can check out www.armyjobs.mod.uk or call 08457 300 111 to speak to someone. if you can't find anyone in your area, feel free to PM and I would be happy to track down a contact in your area you could speak to.

I am not qualified to talk about running, but you can look at www.armyfit.mod.uk which does have a lot of good advice, especially about making sure you start the right way and do it safely.

Good luck - and hope you find a TA unit and job you like.

Z
n1kk137

Post by n1kk137 »

Thanks, will def give it a look in, hopefully will have enough time to fit in the TA haha

Cheers for your help