Share This Page:

TA, nerves and advice

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
blackpatriot

TA, nerves and advice

Post by blackpatriot »

I'm currently in the process of joining the TA - I have passed two stages and have been asked to attend a "Technical Selection Weekend". Could anyone tell me what the difference between the TSW and "Generic Selection Weekend"? What does PSAO mean too?

Although I'm quite thrill about joining, I'm a bit nervous that I won't make it through the selection re fitness and tests. Any advice?
df2inaus

TA Selection Weekend

Post by df2inaus »

Blackpatriot,

My selection weekend was in March 2001 and I don't recall regular versus technical but obviously things have changed.

Don't worry about the physical fitness tests! If you don't pass, listen carefully to what advice you're given and what your options are. Don't be afraid to write down what is said if they talk about numbers of press-ups and run times. As I recall, people who tended not to pass the selection weekend usually did so because of a poor attitude. One guy didn't pass because he was noticed to be violent during a football match and sexually harassed one or more of the female recruits. Everyone else got a second chance as far as I know.
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
tiger76

Post by tiger76 »

I would second that last post, things have changed, just crack on and do what your told give 100% all the time. PSAO is a position within a Company. It stands for Permanent Staff Administration Officer.

Just keep your head down and make sure you help other recruits whenever you can (especially when there are no DS around) if you’re a team player they will love it.

The technical selection bit may be specific to the unit you are joining, I didn’t do one but I joined the infantry in 94.

Tiger76
Viking1

passing the fitness tests

Post by Viking1 »

I would say that passing basic entry fitness should be one of the main concerns for any potential soldiers focus.

If you want something badly enough then you will put in the work before and pass...if not..well its all down to you..
Paddysprat

Post by Paddysprat »

I joined the T.A. in '94 so I'm pretty sure things have changed a little since then. However, I found the training to be easier than the training I did with the regulars the year before. This is possibly due to having had some experience of the system on a day in day out basis.

As for fitness you should really know by now if you're fit enough. If you can run a good few miles at a decent pace and recover well afterwards, then you should breeze through any tests.

Training in most areas of the T.A. isn't as hard as training in the regulars (in my experience). There just isn't the time to put you through the same process.

Some advice:

I ended up having serious problems with my full-time employer after having been in for over a year. They started to refuse my weekends and in the end gave me the ultimatum, "them or us". Sadley, I had to choose the civi job. If you're employed be sure your employer is one that appreciates what you are doing and supports you 100%.
'Paddysprat' a phrase used when explaining the origins of an 'Army Brats' accent.