Share This Page:

HAC

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Viking1

HAC

Post by Viking1 »

snob vs working class thing is more a state of mind....the more positive a person you are the better things are!
Last edited by Viking1 on Sat 02 Aug, 2008 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
qwe

Post by qwe »

Thanks for that! I was with the HAC for all-too-short a time in the mid '90s and don't recognise the snobbery alleged earlier. There were certainly quite a few guys with well paid jobs in city offices, but there were also guys who did the repairs in such offices (and impoversished students, as I was) and everyone was treated equally & got along great. The stuff about who could be an officer was incorrect as you can only be an HAC officer by promotion from the ranks - everyone started at the bottom. Similarly there was a single mess in which rank counted for nothing.
Sadly they lost special forces pay years ago - before my time and when Maggie was PM if I remember correctly.
tiger76

Post by tiger76 »

Are you sure about the loss of SF pay as one of my mates joined them form the infantry in 1998 and he said they were still on SF pay when I last saw him in 2004?
qwe

Post by qwe »

I'm sure they didn't when I was in.
I left in '95 or'96 so I suppose it's possible they've got it back since, but I'm sceptical.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

I've jumped into the HAC ball a couple of times with the Freds, was a bit cheeky doing CRW from 1500 feet! :o

Seems like they have a great set up there for piss ups at least! :drinking: