Share This Page:

Leaving during education

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Saxon

Leaving during education

Post by Saxon »

Hi all, it's my first post but I havelooked on ther threads to find out whether my question has been answered, honest I have! Problem is I can't find the precise nswer I want, although hav come across alot of useful info.
I have a friend, a year or two younger than me, 17 I think who joined the TA inf. He went to live with his dad quite a distance away. He then came back and I asked what he did about the TA when he moved and he said he just left.
I said something along the lines of "you can't just leave, there's a minimum commitment in years" and he said "not if you're in fulltime education."
What I want to know is, is this true? If you're in college or university can you just drop out of the TA all together whe you please?
The reason I want to know is, I'd liketo be i the TA:MS ideally but do not know if military life of any kind, reservist or otherwise, would suit me at all. There's every chance that I'd sign up for the TA then think "oh god, what have I done" after a couple of months.
After finding out this hear-say I came up with a cunning plan. Which was:
In University I'll join the local TA regt. (going to Durham uni if anyone can advise on units up there just out of interest) and if I find it isn't for me I can just drop out and never have any regular commitment to the forces ever again.
Is this 'cunning plan' really cunning or just impossible? Once I'm in during uni, does the (is it 3 year?) commitment stil apply?

Thanks in advance.

PS. Just noticed all my typos but I think it's fairly clear. I won't go back and ammend all of them unless somene complains. :)
Illustrious

Post by Illustrious »

*complains* :lol:

Thought I might just get that out of the way. I dont know the answer to your question though 8) 8)