Share This Page:

Joining the TA-Need advice

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
wilmott

Post by wilmott »

Can you guys answer this for me. I've looked on the TA website and couln't find the answer:

I'm an ex-reg RE, 1986 (boy soldier) to 1993 (3 fd Sqn & 43 Plant Squadron), qualified as CE 2 and POM 2 & ferrit OP (are they still about?). I'm 38 now but still do a bit fiz. I was getting bored with work an all and still have mates in and was getting too jealous so contacted my local TA reg (EOD) to ask if my services were required as i believe that POM's are still needed in the corps. No one got back to me! Am i too old and knackered for them or can i once again don the skin, outside of my house?
snakey_wakey

Post by snakey_wakey »

Not like its the official word like but from what I've read the cut of age is something like 40.

*checks*

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/howdoijoin/c ... ments.aspx

Its says 43. Mentions ex-regs can join as late as 52. I'd think with your previous that should apply but I'm just joe bloggs so could be wrong.

http://www.armyjobs.mod.uk/contactus/pages/default.aspx
Follow the above link then click on Live Chat during the relevent hours to ask em' or call your local army careers place perhaps.
Or maybe just get the application form and crack on that way...
davo141

Post by davo141 »

if your required and can still crack the phys why would they not want you! saves training someone else.

But i believe the age limit is 40, ive read it somewhere, or they where on about changing it to 40ish?

Good luck mate, still got that buzz then?
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
snakey_wakey

Post by snakey_wakey »

Goin back to my medical question... ;-)

So, metal plates in legs. I know what it says on the tin but are they quite strict about metal plates in legs for TA?? Any one got a clue??

I'm gonna speak with a few docs and such about the feasability of removing it but... its a big op really.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

wilmott wrote:I'm 38 now but still do a bit fiz. I was getting bored with work an all and still have mates in and was getting too jealous so contacted my local TA reg (EOD) to ask if my services were required as i believe that POM's are still needed in the corps.
Hi,

I'm currently working as a recruiter for the Royal Yeomanry, (formation reconnaissance TA) and I've recently recruited a couple of ex-Regs in their 40's to join us.

The info other people have already posted is right: the TA wil now recruit civvies upto 43 for most things apart from infantry. For professional trades such as medics, the TA can and does recruit older than this. TA regs also do state clearly that any ex-Reg (medically fit and who left in good terms etc) can join upto 52.

If you have a several year gap between your Reg service and joining the TA, you will have to redo basic training in full. However, once you have done this, you will find other courses and promotions etc come a lot quicker. One of my older recruits is doing his recruit training while proudly wearing his old Para wings, the other his Commando dagger!

Am sorry to hear the other unit didn't bother to contact you back. If you based near any of the RY's Squadrons - Swindon, Nottingham, Leicester, Croydon or Central London - feel free to PM me, and I would be happy to arrange for you to come visit us, and see if you like the idea of formation reconnaissance with a CBRN twist.

As well as the RAC sabre trades we are really looking for switched-on ex-Regs to join RHQ and SHQs in all sorts of roles, and bring their past expertise and trades to us.

Z
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

HI guys

I know this was a fairly old thread but rather than start a new one...

From what I have gathered it seems like joining the TA in the Infantry means you are likely to be mobilised at some point? Either by choice or not.

Based on that am I assuming that it is less likely (or no real chance) that you get mobilised if you are in another trade?

Would that be accurate?

Many thanks

t.safety
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I'm not sure what I will go for yet but I just want to gather as much info as I can. I do appreciate that in any role you can be mobilised, Im just looking for a general rule of thumb.

many thanks

t.safety
kweowusu

Post by kweowusu »

thundersafety wrote:Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

I'm not sure what I will go for yet but I just want to gather as much info as I can. I do appreciate that in any role you can be mobilised, Im just looking for a general rule of thumb.

many thanks

t.safety
To answer your question, there isn't a general rule of thumb. The current situation is that one must volunteer in order to go on a tour; you will NOT be compulsorily mobilised regardless of trade, be it infantry or otherwise.

However, things may well change in the future. If it does and your skills are needed(doesn't have to be infantry), then yes, it is within their rights to compulsorily deploy you.
green boil

Post by green boil »

thundersafety wrote:Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

many thanks

t.safety
As previously posted there is no 100% compulsory mobilisation any more you do have to volunteer for it, joining the TA infantry you can be 100% certain that u will have the chance to go on ops Ive been mobilized 3 times, 2 afghan 1 iraq tours, they were all my choice to go some of my mates from my cmpy have deployed 5/6 times again that was there's own doing hope this helps
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

Thanks very much

Much appreciated
Abz1991

Re: Joining the TA-Need advice

Post by Abz1991 »

Hi everyone, my name is abby and i'm 20 years old and thinking of joining the TA. I have already been to speak to someone to get the ball rolling with my application but i have a few questions (mainly for a mother in the TA). Me and my partner would love to have kids in 3-4 years time but i'm not sure how i could have a child and still be in the TA e.g. i'm not sure about maternity leave or any other options for me. if anyone has had children while in the TA or regular army i'd love some advice. I'd love kids but the TA is something i'd love to do too so any help would be great. thanks :).
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

I don't really see the two conflicting,besides once you are in you may hate the TA.
You can always leave the Terriers but you can't really leave your children.
If,as you say you're not going to start a family for a while,then give the TA a shot.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Wholley.
Abz1991

Post by Abz1991 »

thanks for your advice. after thinking it through i'll be continuing with my application. 4 years is a long way off right now and i can do a lot in that time :D . thanks again.

abby