Share This Page:

A Officer To Every Four Men

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Tab

A Officer To Every Four Men

Post by Tab »

The under-strength and top-heavy Territorial Army has one officer for every four fully-trained soldiers on its books, The Herald can reveal.

The 21,069 part-timers, scattered from the Western Isles to Weymouth, are led by 10 brigadiers, 90 colonels, 340 lieutenant-colonels, 1670 majors, 1890 captains, and 1150 lieutenants, according to Ministry of Defence figures.
got1

Post by got1 »

What was that old saying. "To many chiefs and not enough indians".
London Boy

Re: A Officer To Every Four Men

Post by London Boy »

Tab wrote:The under-strength and top-heavy Territorial Army has one officer for every four fully-trained soldiers on its books, The Herald can reveal.

The 21,069 part-timers, scattered from the Western Isles to Weymouth, are led by 10 brigadiers, 90 colonels, 340 lieutenant-colonels, 1670 majors, 1890 captains, and 1150 lieutenants, according to Ministry of Defence figures.
How does the TA function regarding officers, are they mostly ex-regulars or are they mostly Johnny-jump-ups from civvy street? Never
understood TA structure myself.
got1

Post by got1 »

I don't know about now but Para Btn's where more or less the same as a regular Btn i.e. Co, Trg Major, Adjutant, RSM, Coy Commanders, Pln Commanders etc.
As the Btn's have been chopped now, I'm not sure. :(
ps The Co, Trg Major, Adjutant, RSM were usually regulars.
We did have a Coy Comm. who was an MP.
You also had your PSI's.
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

Well, as is the case with all the TA, 'on the books' has little to do with who actually turns up. There might be several thousand TA officers on the 4 PARA books, but I've only ever seen three who actually turned up regularly; one was the OC, one was a LE from the ranks, and the last was part of a recent recruitment drive for 2Lts because we didn't have any.

On the ground, they are a bit more scarce than those figures suggest at first glance - also, if you think about it, there is something wrong with figures which give the numbers of majors & captains at 1.5x the number of Lts, there is clearly going to be a dearth of officers at the Plt Cmdr level.
got1 wrote:The Co, Trg Major, Adjutant, RSM were usually regulars
Still the case for CO & RSM, never seen the other two, so no idea.