Share This Page:

Transfers and other things...

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
DLink011

Transfers and other things...

Post by DLink011 »

Firstly im not new to the site therefore I have used the search tab with a few different keywords.

Basically if you see my signature, i applied for the RM a couple years ago but my knee jacked up and was out. Torn ACL etc.

I was thinking of re-applying to the RM, but at the moment am doing really well for myself in Civvy Street, I have my own company and have just bought another one out of administration. My plans are to build them up to the best in their trades and in about 2-3 years i want to sell them and then persue the RM.

This is the catch, I would like to join the TA until such time. But i know that you have to pay back the 3 years. What if within those three years i wanted to be transfered to regular RM? is that possible?

Also would like to know how long training is ie: how long would it take me to pass out a TA infantryman.

Any help and avdvice I would be greatful!
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

[/quote]This is the catch, I would like to join the TA until such time. But i know that you have to pay back the 3 years. What if within those three years i wanted to be transfered to regular RM? is that possible? [quote]

Sorry what do you mean pay back the three years? You can join the TA and leave at any time... Thats of course a bit cr4p for your unit, but its impractical to make people commit to three years say, and then pursue them for going AWOL, throwing good taxpayers money after bad in legal action! You would be unable to transfer from TA to Regs/RM you would have to re-join keeping your Armed Forces number. The other option is the Full Time Reservist which is basically going regular without doing basic and then its possible to 'get in through the back door!'. But that would be from TA to Army, might be possible to do similar from RMR I don't know.

Have you thought about joining the TA and then as the owner of two companies simply going on as many weekends, courses, exchanges ( you can train with US National guard for 6 months at my unit) Op's and just enjoying a wealthy interesting life that way! I know I would!

To answer your question it could take up to twelve months to train as a TA infantryman, however walk through the door at the right moment, get your paperwork and medical stuff squared away quickly and it could be done in four/five months.

Tom
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

[/quote]This is the catch, I would like to join the TA until such time. But i know that you have to pay back the 3 years. What if within those three years i wanted to be transfered to regular RM? is that possible? [quote]

Sorry what do you mean pay back the three years? You can join the TA and leave at any time... Thats of course a bit cr4p for your unit, but its impractical to make people commit to three years say, and then pursue them for going AWOL, throwing good taxpayers money after bad in legal action! You would be unable to transfer from TA to Regs/RM you would have to re-join keeping your Armed Forces number. The other option is the Full Time Reservist which is basically going regular without doing basic and then its possible to 'get in through the back door!'. But that would be from TA to Army, might be possible to do similar from RMR I don't know.

Have you thought about joining the TA and then as the owner of two companies simply going on as many weekends, courses, exchanges ( you can train with US National guard for 6 months at my unit) Op's and just enjoying a wealthy interesting life that way! I know I would!

To answer your question it could take up to twelve months to train as a TA infantryman, however walk through the door at the right moment, get your paperwork and medical stuff squared away quickly and it could be done in four/five months.

Tom
DLink011

Post by DLink011 »

Thanks for the reply, was beginning to think that no one read these pages anymore.

I definatly want to go to regular RM, but for now, i just want to get the military experience under my belt while i see what is going to happen with these my business'.

I may even decide that TA is for me, and not join the RM time can only tell!
However im farely certain that somewhere on the website it said that once training is completed, you have to serve min 3 years.

I will have another look around on the site.
I figured that i would not be able to go from being a TA infantry man to RM, and that i would have to do RM Basic training. which im fine with...i expected that.

I didnt realise that training was that quick i was expecting 2 years. I do however want to finish it asap.

Could you enlighten me in the physical requirements that one must meet before and during training. eg: RM 1.5m in 10.20mins - 3m in 21 mins.
Pull ups push ups etc!

Thanks again RA Tom.
RM application 2005, PRMC - tore ACL and PCL ligaments.
Contimplating TA for a couple years before i rejoin RM
RAF_GUY

Post by RAF_GUY »

depends on age, but for me - 20: 1.5 miles in 10.30 mins, 44 press ups in 2 mins and 50 sit ups in 2 mins
thundersafety

Post by thundersafety »

You def don't have to sign up for 3 years mate
draftdodger

Post by draftdodger »

you can do you training in the RMR and then apply for ftrs (full time regular service) where you're still in the ta but are attached to a regular unit. after you've completed your ftrs posting you can just sign on the dotted line and you're a regular from then on. this means you dont have to repeat basic