Share This Page:

T.A Infantry as an Officer.

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
Scott_Allen

T.A Infantry as an Officer.

Post by Scott_Allen »

Hey guys.

I am currently studying for my A-Levels. I am studying Business Studies, ICT and Sociology.

I managed to get 4 A's, 2 B' and 5 C's at GCSE.

I want to join the 3rd Battalion Royal Anglian Regiment unit that is close to where I live, and I have a question.

With my current qualifications could I join the unit as an officer?

I am 17 years old, 18 in July.

I am joining the TA with the view to complete my TA training before joining the regulars as I wish to take some time out after my A-Levels to travel a bit, see a bit of the world and really make sure I am one, fit enough, and two if the Army is really what I want.

One more thing. What is the general practise for transferring out of the TA into the regulars? I do have the abmition to join the regulars as an officer.

Thanks.
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hello,

If you express an interest in a commision on joining then someone will chat to you about it, depends on you, what vacancies there are for officers etc. You can join as a TAPO - TA potential officer and will be required to shine and show leadership during recruit training which is done with the other recruits.

You'll get the full briefing on this if you express an interest on initial enquiry and a dvd to watch etc.

My personal opinion is go through recruit training and CMSR then enquire about it afterwards. Especially if you want to join the regs, good opportunity to empathise with the toms and understand what makes a good officer by formulating your own opinions as a tom.

If you tell your TA unit that you want to join as an officer and then join the regs it may be seen as a waste of time sending you down the TA commission route.

Personally I feel you're too young at 17 to think about it. TA soldiers tend to be older and its not uncommon for private soldiers to be post grads, going for a commission in the TA is more about furthering your contribution to your unit rather than based on your academic quals.

You wouldnt be able to transfer as a commissioned officer you would do 3 weeks sandhurst and loads of unit training as TA and then as a reg you would do regular Sandhurst agaiin. You'll keep your old army number and thats about it.

Tom
ticktock

Post by ticktock »

sry, just repeating what i was told
Last edited by ticktock on Fri 09 Jan, 2009 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Ticktock(I'm a clock)
As this post is over a year old and you are a student with a massive amount of military experience under your belt why would you even consider answering.
Not the way to win friends and influence people with your first post on this forum :evil:
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Wholley wrote:Ticktock(I'm a clock)
As this post is over a year old and you are a student with a massive amount of military experience under your belt why would you even consider answering.
Not the way to win friends and influence people with your first post on this forum :evil:
Plus he's dead wrong. A good pl sgt will support a new young offcecr who is keen and willing to learn to the point of shutting down mouthy tossers in the ranks. It's young offciers who gob off when they know fark all who come unstuck.

Go for it, Scott. Although, I'd say you're a bit young yet.

Remember, you canot be a leader without having the will to lead, but the will to lead alone will not make you leader!
Sarastro

Post by Sarastro »

anglo-saxon wrote: Plus he's dead wrong. A good pl sgt will support a new young offcecr who is keen and willing to learn to the point of shutting down mouthy tossers in the ranks. It's young offciers who gob off when they know fark all who come unstuck.
Realise that the poster is long gone, but in the interests of anyone else searching for the same subject...

AS is right about plt sgts working for their officers in the regs - but my experience of the TA was that the structure is much more patchy due to manning, so often officers (if they are present at all) are largely working with section commanders or even lance jacks.

Of cadets at Sandhurst who have been TA commission officers in a younger life, the majority of them need to shut the f@#k up, and don't end up looking like the best officers. Those who have been regular or TA rankers do much better. For anyone who is considering becoming a regular officer, ask yourself why you want a commission early? You will recieve all the TA training and more at Sandhurst, and after that you will have 'the longest command appointment of your life'. But you will never have the experience of being a private soldier, one of the guys who you will eventually be commanding. I'd argue that learning what it is like to be under command is a hundred times more valuable than any slight experience of being in command you might get as a TA officer.