Share This Page:

63 Signals (SAS)

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
RA_Tom

63 Signals (SAS)

Post by RA_Tom »

Hello,

Anyone know anything about these chaps? I am not asking for any OpSec dramas, just curious about them. Noticed a post on ARRSE with lots of odd tales about people being binned for having eyes to close together etc. Which I read as "I freddied it, this is what I told my unit on my return".
The Mod uksf site doesnt say much about them, gives more info on 21. Seems to be a lot of controversy about their selection process. Before anyone googles a phone number I am merely interested in their selection and current roles rather than joining, they are my closest reserve unit which prompted my curiosity.

Yours

Tom
Tartan_Terrier

Post by Tartan_Terrier »

From what I've heard it's a somewhat shorter selection, and the speed required on the hills is also slower than for SAS candidates.

I've also heard that signallers for the patrols now come from 63, so there is a chance of having a more active role than used to be the case.

This is all unsubstantiated rumour though, so don't sue me if I'm wrong.
Regards
T_T
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

they are my closest reserve unit which prompted my curiosity
Best to ask them then Tom. They probably won`t bite.
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

Hi, RA_Tom I have come across some of these guy's on my travels, they do seem to get up to some very interesting training and put a fair bit of emphasis on phys and mill skills. You do have to remember though they are a techie trade and there is also a lot of that to cover from what I could gather, like harry says you are probably best to give them a ring. I have also heard different story's about the selection process so you best to get it from the horses mouth.
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hello,

He he, no I am quite happy with RA. At least for now... I was just curious of all our local regular and reserve HMAF units that come in up in conversation through personnel transfers, sharing equipt/training facilities etc these sneaky beakies attracted the most spurious conjecture, just thought I'd see what you lot thought!

Ubique

Tom
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

harry hackedoff wrote:
they are my closest reserve unit which prompted my curiosity
Best to ask them then Tom. They probably won`t bite.
you never know :o
AC

Post by AC »

One of my oppos went for selection with 63, the impression he gave was that it was an "if your face fits..." mentality. But i'm sure thats the impression anyone would get having been turned away.

Best option is to give them a call and find out for yourself. Good luck!
If it doesn't hurt it's not worth doing!
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

"If your face fits" sounds like an excuse for failing selection.

Selection is similar to that of the 21/23 SAS, slightly more time and slightly less distance in tabs though, close enough though.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Scooby wrote:"If your face fits" sounds like an excuse for failing selection.

Selection is similar to that of the 21/23 SAS, slightly more time and slightly less distance in tabs though, close enough though.
And you have to know morse with gaffer tape over your eyes, or would it be ears with the sigs? :-?
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Doc wrote:
Scooby wrote: Selection is similar to that of the 21/23 SAS, slightly more time and slightly less distance in tabs though, close enough though.
Apparently I'm wrong and they have no selection to talk of, so yeah not even as fit as the Infantry the 63rd Sigs, YET they get to wear a sand coloured beret and SAS stable belt and are rated as being part of the UKSF!

This sounds like a great opportunity to do some mega walting with the 63rd Signals (SAS -walts) Where do I apply! :)
adj125

Post by adj125 »

It use to be that they did their own sort of selection and if you passed that then you got into the Sqn. You could also do text week which allowed you to wear a blue belt but with the signals buckle. That was a while ago so things might of changed yet i doubt they get to wear the same belt as 21 and 23
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Apparently I'm wrong and they have no selection to talk of, so yeah not even as fit as the Infantry the 63rd Sigs, YET they get to wear a sand coloured beret and SAS stable belt and are rated as being part of the UKSF!

This sounds like a great opportunity to do some mega walting with the 63rd Signals (SAS -walts) Where do I apply!
Aha... I have found out a bit more about these lot since I posted, there is a selection, Doc had it squared away with his post. For some reason they get a lot of stick, and there will be follow up posts adamant that they are walts etc. I now know someone who is friendly with one of their DS and there is a selection what that entails exactly I dont know, but apparently Its the same sketch as their regular counterparts, like selection but not quite the full dealy! Apparently the regular SF Sigs have had a pretty hefty pay rise [Soldier Magazine] to "attract applications from other cap badges"

I think the controversy with 63 Sigs stems from their history and maybe the contempory 63 troopers are the result of a new and improved unit!?
billybunter

Post by billybunter »

[quote="Scooby"][quote="Doc"][quote="Scooby"]
Selection is similar to that of the 21/23 SAS, slightly more time and slightly less distance in tabs though, close enough though.[/quote]

This sounds like a great opportunity to do some mega walting with the 63rd Signals (SAS -walts) Where do I apply! :)[/quote]

nobber. get back down the pub with your medals on, no chance or getting binned off the 63 assessment there, like most of the applicants who fail the phys coz their bergen hurts / is too heavy excuse excuse etc
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Why is your first post resurrecting one that's over a year old?
And there's no point trying to make rude comments to someone who isn't even a member of these forums any more...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
billybunter

Post by billybunter »

because men who are KIA can't defend themselves against this sort slander and ignorance. Don't know about you but I tend to get a tad cheesed off when guys hard work,achievements and ultimate sacrifice are sneeringly dismissed with the term "walts".