Share This Page:

4 Para too late??

Discussions about the Territorial Army.
IV Cockney

4 Para too late??

Post by IV Cockney »

Hi fellas

I'm currently going through the process of joining 4Para at the ripe old age of 32.

Obviously is a fair bit older than many of the other crows but Im determined to get through it whatever it takes and Im in pretty good shape, just need to work on my running a bit more. I started suffering a bit with my shins but I was shown some good stretching exercises that seems to have tamed the problem.

I've always been pretty much into weight training and so Im also trying to lose a bit of size as after much reading here and on other sites I believe it will hinder me carrying the extra size, even if it is muscle.

I realise that mine will probably not be the longest of services due to my age but am I aiming too high trying to get through PCoy at 32?
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
Alfa

Post by Alfa »

No your not, just go for it mate. Determination and guts is what will get you through P Coy not your age.

If it's what you want to do then there's no reason not to try even if you don't pass you've not lost anything as at least you will know you've tried.

Plus since it's only TA it's not as if you have to give up your job etc.. in order to do it.

I tell you what though I take my hat off to anyone who passes P Coy by doing most of their training one their own and in their spare time.

Good luck matey and I hope you get what you want.
hawk

p coy

Post by hawk »

go 4 it mate,goodluck. keep in touch :drinking: here's to you. 8)
Frank S.

Re: p coy

Post by Frank S. »

hawk wrote:go 4 it mate,goodluck. keep in touch :drinking: here's to you. 8)
No text speak, doug, you've been told before.
IV Cockney

Post by IV Cockney »

Cheers Guys, I shall let you all know how I progress.

Come on fellas, 50 views and only 3 responses? Was out running last night thinking of all the advice I was gonna read when I logged on this morning!! ha ha :lol:
[img]http://www.army.mod.uk/img/template/badge_para4bn.gif[/img] [img]http://premium1.uploadit.org/CockneyPlayboy//totumtotum.JPG[/img]
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

32's nothing! You have maturity on your side and more discipline than the younger guys (hopefully! :o ). I know lots of guys that are far older than that who are in phenominal shape. Just put yer mind to it. You'll do fine.

Head down, arse up!
df2inaus

32 in 4 Para

Post by df2inaus »

I remember being in a competition with 4 Para, they did an assault course in four minutes that took us eleven.

They were physically fit to a man, we were not.

The PT probably won't be as hard as it is to stay awake at night, younger men definitely have the advantage there.

df2inaus
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
RA_Tom

Post by RA_Tom »

Hello,

32 is not too old, when I did my 4 para recruit training the fitter blokes were in late twenties early thirties. You need mental discipline to put in the training.

Just to give you my provenence! And an intro to all!
Joined 4 para in 2001 (age 23), got started on the weekends, got to weekend six, my company wouldnt give me the time off for CIC P-Coy, we were struggling at work and it was all hands to the pump! Finished the 8 weekends, passed weekend 8.
Got made redundant! Did from weekend four again, got through weekend 8 again, then got offered a new job with an immediate start, relocating too! had to leave TA witthout getting a crack at P-coy!! Sadly after a few months of nothing but two interviews in my line of work, I had to prioritise as a civi!

Anyway, am now back in the TA as a gunner, and as you can imagine I have a bee in my bonnet about about P-coy, and our PSI is very good at getting us on courses, and I intend to have a crack at AA-P-Coy this year (age 29). Personally I am fitter now than before, faster PB's at 10k etc. But I guess we'll see.

Keep Tabbing, dont give up. when your limbs ache, your lungs burn, and all your natural instincts are telling you to stop keep going. Tell yourself that you will continue until you drop from exhaustion. Even if it feels like that will only be 100m later! You will be surprised how far you get!

Dont run so much during the week that you go on weekends knackered, and worse injured. I was doing 7 miles twice a week, plus a gentle recovery 5 miler. 70 pressups and situps every day (while watching telly!) cyling 12 miles round trip to work, and a session of hill work (sprints up a hill, walk down - repeat ad nauseam - literally!!!) On weeks before weekends just the two runs and upper body work will do. Not the night before a weekend though. Sleep properly, drink water not tea at work, give up boozing heavily, eat carbs, eat lots! DO NOT GO TO A GYM!!

If you have an injury, back off the running. You can pass these weekends with guts, and grit. Aim to peak your fitness for catterick. If you have a bad 6 or 7 mile TAB hanging out of arse, or worse you jacked into the wagon, you can still pass the following weekends TAB at increased milage.

Bring 2 flattened plastic (coke etc) 2 litre water bottles to fill up to make up your bergen weight for sunday TAB, this keeps your bergen small. Makes TABBING "easier". Buy your own small fishing scales so you can make the panic of 35lb packing quicker! Wear one pair of issue sockes, put fabric plasters on your little toes. If your lightweights are chaffing your thighs on a TAB (mine bled profusely on WE 7) then just buy some that fit!

Finally, when I was there a tubby, pie munching aussie 29 years old, who used to arrive after a few pints on friday night got through the course with very little fitness training, admittedly he was almost having a coronory at the end of the TABS and he didnt crack the 2 miler straight off but heart and determination are very important.

Hopefully thats enough!!

Tom
Tab

Post by Tab »

You are joining the TA not the regulars so that if it does not work out you can always leave and you will still have your civvy job and home.
parachick

Post by parachick »

Alfa wrote:No your not, just go for it mate. Determination and guts is what will get you through P Coy not your age.

If it's what you want to do then there's no reason not to try even if you don't pass you've not lost anything as at least you will know you've tried.

Plus since it's only TA it's not as if you have to give up your job etc.. in order to do it.

I tell you what though I take my hat off to anyone who passes P Coy by doing most of their training one their own and in their spare time.

Good luck matey and I hope you get what you want.

Give it a go M8 nix to lose, if you dont you will always wonder could I have done it(P Coy) & passed??
Utrinque Paratus.
IV Cockney

Post by IV Cockney »

Firstly thanks for your advice there guys... esp RA-TOM, there was alot of encouragment there!

:evil: Well just to give you an update... I tore two muscled in my stomach quite badly on the door a while back, resulting in the need for surgery to correct it. I am back in training after a long hard slog but feel like I am right back at the start again. However I refuse to give up and if grit and determination are anything to do with it I'll be on my way.

If any of you Colly lads fancy helping me out with my fitness regime ( in know loads of you seem to live in Fitness First of an evening at the moment!!!) :lol: then I'd be massively grateful.

I WANT THIS :o
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Do your best mate. Get better first, though :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Airborne Legend

Post by Airborne Legend »

Age has nothing to do with anything... just look at Yoda!

Work hard mate. :D
There is no fear, there is only the force.

Do or do not, there is no try.
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Good for you mate

Mind over matter

Good luck.
Last edited by Seraph on Thu 08 Nov, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Go for it, but be sensible (and good to yourself!). IV Para is a greta goal, but your bod has to last you the rest of your life!