Share This Page:

Do RM get R&R when on tours?

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
kyle-jdm

Do RM get R&R when on tours?

Post by kyle-jdm »

Was just wondering if RM get R&R when on a tour? For example, if posted in Afghanistan for 12 months do they get a chance to go home at all to see family like the Army do? In particular it would be RMR im interested in joining.

Thanks in advance.
Rover

Re: Do RM get R&R when on tours?

Post by Rover »

Six month tour and yes.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
kyle-jdm

Post by kyle-jdm »

so RM only go on a 6 month tour? i seen on their website that it could be up to 12 months, when would this be the case? how long do they get to go home for R&R?

thanks
owdun

Post by owdun »

It used to be two and a half years,with no R&R,and no argument,modern day guys don't know they are born. :D :D :D
kyle-jdm

Post by kyle-jdm »

2 and a half years without R&R, jeez!

so is a tour 6 months now? bit confused about this from the RM website
Rover

Post by Rover »

Kyle,

This from the RMR website;

High Readiness Reserves (HRR)
HRR will have volunteered, with their employers; consent to accept an increased liability to call-out. HRR are likely to have skills in short supply in the Regular and Reserve Forces.
Sponsored Reserves who will allow some support tasks, which are currently restricted to Regular personnel, because they might need to be performed in an operational area, to be let to contract. Members of a civilian workforce could volunteer to become Sponsored Reserves thus accepting special call-out liabilities to serve in an operational area if required. Provisions also now exist to allow reservists to volunteer to undertake productive tasks other than training without being called out. This would be on either a part-time (e.g. disaster relief at home) or full-time basis (longer periods of continuous service largely superseding current need to join Regulars temporarily to serve on operations which might not justify call-out).

FTRS Engagements
Opportunities will continue to exist for Reservists who have completed training to undertake a short service engagement to serve with the Regular Corps. This is normally for a twelve-month period but in some circumstances can be three six or nine months. On occasion it is possible for a man to transfer from FTRS to a permanent engagement, but this as with the FTRS scheme is dependent on the needs of the Corps at the time - transfers are getting few and far between due to increased manning levels.

Please note the word "volunteered".
These engagements become open to you once you have completed training and earned your Green Beret.

Again looking at the time line you have currently given yourself and the length of time and commitment required for the RMR, I do not think the RMR is for you.

Now as regards the confusion concerning the understanding of a tour/draft.

On completion of training as a regular Royal Marine you were 'drafted' to a unit, whilst in that unit you may do one or more operational 'tours'.

Currently Commando units are involved in 'operational tours' in Afghanistan lasting around six months. During that 'tour' members of the unit do go on R&R of around 10/14 days. Naturally these are staggered within the sub units over the period.

A normal draft to a unit was around two and a half years for a married man and one and a half for a single man.
These are not set in stone for various reasons some perhaps obvious, others would take too long for my one finger typing skills.
During your draft you also had the normal leave periods, not to mention weekends etc.

During the time when we had units in Aden and the Far East , once 'drafted' to those units leave etc was taken in theater. There were no R&R trips back to the UK.
These were also married/accompanied drafts.

As you will appreciate 'tours' as such for a married member of the RMR are a different thing. Just think of the family.

Trust this helps.

Rover
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Marina

Post by Marina »

The modern guys have it so good then compared to the older generation years ago. It must have been hard on the wives and families. Plus, they didn't have, laptops, email, ipads, iphone, android phones, skype and internet in those days either.
Tab

Post by Tab »

When we were getting ready to invade Egypt we were not even allowed to write home for three months. If you had to send any thing it was a Field Postcard where you just ticked a box saying you were alive and signed it.

This is the field post card
ofens

Post by ofens »

where you just ticked a box saying you were alive and signed it
That sounds like a good idea, I need some way of that happening at 4AM when I'm still out on the p*ss and my Mrs is constantly ringing!
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Marina

Post by Marina »

Hi Tab
Omg, thats awful. I always thought you wrote letters to home every week

P.S
Its good to know that you are still here Tab. I missed you guys on the MF.
Take care.