Share This Page:

Level of commitment required/tie in with civvy job?

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
Glasgow08

Level of commitment required/tie in with civvy job?

Post by Glasgow08 »

I'm about to move to Aberdeen and notice there is an RMR unit there and am keen to join.

I appreciate there must obviously be a high degree of commitment when joining reserve forces, but a bit worried if I can commit right now, and I'm not getting any closer to finding out more by other threads on this forum I've come across yet or the bit on the RN website.

Basically I will be working offshore a lot, its unpredictable work patterns and not a clear cut x weeks on, y weeks off sort of thing. I really want to know if its poss to:

1) join the RMR and not attend most evening sessions (work day for me will probably go on till late evening)

2) for weekend training, is it a case of 'you really must attend this particular weekend' or do you get options of various weekends in which you can sign up to train in a particular area? what happens if i cant attend RMR training in a 2 month period for example?

So in effect I'm trying to find out how likely 'unusual' work patterns in the oil industry are likely to impact on being in the RMR.

Cheers for any thoughts.

(P.s. I've explained this terribly and should have probably not waited till after a night out to write this, hope it makes sense :drinking: )
davo141

Post by davo141 »

i believe, it is up to you when your turn up but you only get paid that day, certain courses and weekends must be completed in order to achieve a pass in the course. If you cant manage a certain weekend, many may not, they should run a catch up weekend if you miss that you could find yourself in a holding troop where you catch it next time round when your available!

Your bet is to contact the specific RMR unit and describe your situation, and more than likely have somebody already who is in the same boat, ie working off shore!!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
Glasgow08

Post by Glasgow08 »

cheers mate, yeah I'm looking forward to having a chat when I've moved and see how it might fit in, and as you say, there might be others in that situation. I don't really mind personally if I keep getting shunted back a troop and it takes longer for me to get there, but I really wouldn't want it to seem like I didn't give a toss and had bad attitude.

just spied this on another thread advertising RMR though:
It should be understood that there is very little flexibilty within the training program to miss out many of the required weekends and drill nights, therefore recruits must be commited to the high commitment required by recruit training.
:( Was pretty set on trying out too, maybe this isn't the right time in my civvy career to be thinking about it.

hopefully where there's a will there's a way though! :P

(anyone looking to join/already in the Aberdeen unit in the not too distant future give a shout??)
davo141

Post by davo141 »

only one way to find out....ask the rubber daggers them selves!
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
barrybudden

Post by barrybudden »

Rubber dagger here, REMF!
:o
Anyway, in answer to your question the Det meet once a week for a 2 hour drill night where you will do a lesson and some phys and a bit of admin. Weekends are every other week in training and you are not allowed to miss anymore than 2 in each phase of training as it is an intense course and you will not be able to keep up. You also have to attend a 2 week confirmation at the end of phase 1 and 2 weeks again at the end of phase 2 both at ctc.
ofens

Post by ofens »

I recently got chatting with a few RMR lads who were in the last stage of training (tests).
Asked them about how RMR training goes, and relevant to your question the opinions were that lads who did not attend regularly tended to get lost and drop out.
I think that's true with most things in life, from Cub Scouts all the way up to Girl Guides! And beyond. :P

But your best bet would definately be to call the RMR unit and discuss it with them.

ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Im hopefully going on my RFCC in July and I can tell you it is very hard to tie both a full time job, girlfriend(s), friends and a reservist unit all together, but by no means impossible. Ever heard of the term burning the candle at both ends? You should expect no less if you are to commit properly!
Von

Post by Von »

Glasgow08,

This is probably not what you want to hear but I am afraid there is no way you will be able to do it if you are working offshore.

It is slightly ironic because if you had a green lid already then your way of life would fit quite well as once you are a trained rank there is flexibility. When going through initial training I am afraid that if you are unable to commit to doing pretty much all of it then you will fall by the way side as it is progressive.

You could always take a year of shore work, get your green lid and then go back to off-shore.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Von