Share This Page:

Reg Recruit Training/RMR Training

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
Cbone

Reg Recruit Training/RMR Training

Post by Cbone »

Firstly hello all, thought it time i got involved in the forum having spent enough time sapping info from the sidelines.

I was in reg recruit training until week 13, now in civvie street i have a job lined up that i want to do but since a little while after leaving training i've thought about the RMR, this was something that my CSM pushed me to think hard about when i had a my leaving interview.

Just a simple question,

Can anybody shed some light on the RMR training compared to reg training? Apart from the obvious, ( i realise the Cdo tests and plenty others are the same) it's just that in reg training so much is crammed into a week.....well even a day infact so i'm just interested to know what evenings and weekends are like....busy no doubt.

Cheers
MrC

Post by MrC »

you have 1 drill night each week (tue/wed/thur depending on location) which is just fizz.

After that there are about 8 weekends in phase 1 and 6 weekends in phase 2, both end with a 2 week test at CTC.

If you can commit that time you should be fine, but you are expected to do the majority of fitness training in your own time, nothing outrageous but enough to keep up with the demands of the physical you'll be doing each weekend - they will let you know what to expect before hand, though you are expected to match the quality of the regs but you do have longer to do this.

The weekends run from 8pm Friday night until anytime Sunday afternoon (1pm-5pm depending on how much there is to get through).

The drill nights run 8pm-10pm but I've heard some places run 7.30-9.30...

p.s. I've seen the calender for the next year or so, and it doesn't quite work out like the TA (1 every other weekend), it averages about 1 weekend per month and it doesn't really look like there is any pattern which makes it hard for those who work weekends.
Cbone

Post by Cbone »

Thanks for the heads-up MrC. Are you currently RMR?

I'm thinking alot of stuff in reg training is cut out in RMR so it's a concentration of what really needs to be learnt? Plus like you say alot of the phys is done in your own time and you have a longer period of time to complete it in.

I was thinking you could put in as much as you wanted to, as in do as many weekends as you like, especially after pass-out.

I have no doubt that when you pass out in RMR you're as capable as a reg, ultimately you are trained to carry out the same job.
MrC

Post by MrC »

Cbone wrote:I have no doubt that when you pass out in RMR you're as capable as a reg, ultimately you are trained to carry out the same job.
They do stress the fact that reserves are held as equal to the regs, all part of one big family etc

There are plenty of chances to get on exercise/ops with regulars so you can probably assume that the same level of fitness and skill will be expected of you. Give them a ring, they are incredibly friendly when you approach them...and very accommodating for ex regs.