Share This Page:

RMR to Full Time

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
_chris

RMR to Full Time

Post by _chris »

If you join the RMR while your at uni etc. and earn the right to wear the green beret, what happens when you join the full time marines?
Harry Masker

Post by Harry Masker »

Chris, keeping it short and sweet! Nothing at all is different. You can transfer to the regulars on a contract of around 2 years I think. You can also sign up full time if your really keen.

However, your question is one of a "Run before Walking" you need to pass the course, before you can do anything.

Why ask about going regular after doing the RMR?
Why not finish Uni then join regulars?

Cheers :roll:
_chris

Post by _chris »

I'm planning on going in the regulars after uni but it was just something that popped into my head while looking through the forums, whether people who already had their green beret still had to go through as normal recruits or if they could jump straight in etc.

My plans still haven't altered, I don't think I'ld have enough time with uni and RMR plus the uni I'm looking at doesn't have a nearby RMR so would have to add on travelling etc.
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

My mate was in the RMR while he was a medical student. When he finished his studies he joined the Royal Navy as a Medical Officer. The only advantage that gave him was that he already had his wings and dagger, so no requirement to do the AACC in order to work with 3 Cdo Bde.

Another mate was in the RMR and when he finished Uni he joined the Regular Corps as an Officer, and it made no difference whatsoever! He started from scratch with all the other YOs (apart from the added pressure that everyone knew he had been a "rubber dagger" at uni).

As mentioned above, if you don't want a commission after Uni you could always mobilise or do FTRS for a few years.

Hope that helps
Chester

Post by Chester »

Hantslad wrote:Another mate was in the RMR and when he finished Uni he joined the Regular Corps as an Officer, and it made no difference whatsoever! He started from scratch with all the other YOs (apart from the added pressure that everyone knew he had been a "rubber dagger" at uni)
With the added pressure of wearing his green beret ? I believe this happens for both NCO's and Officers or at least it did until recently unless someone is going to correct me.

I know two people who joined at both levels from the RMR and wore theirs throughout training..... Suddenly you can't be a grey man anymore :)
[color=white].[/color]
When not awake, I am often found asleep