Share This Page:

Re joining rmr,

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
GreyWing

Re joining rmr,

Post by GreyWing »

Hi chaps,

just a quick thought, I'm 27, 28 next June, is this too old to join rmr?, I know manchester is about 50 miles away from me in Barnsley, newcastle around 100 miles away on a straight road A! and easier journey, so probably around 20 minutes longer journey. Both around 80-90 minutes away, and I'd be willing to make both journeys.

Been in the regulars at lympstone, got to around week 7-8 and miss the heck out of it, Main reason stopping me from joinging the regulars again is if I got injured and was stuck in Hunter for months on end. I've seen how easy phreak injuries just happen down there.

I know the limit is 30'ish, but would they still consider my application. I'm self employed, work around 2 hours a day and bored senseless. Just wondering if worth looking at.

Cheers lads
Scottish_Kiwi

Post by Scottish_Kiwi »

Well i think you have answered your own question, the limit is 30, so as long as you are fit enough there is no reason for you not to join.

K
jE^_^

Post by jE^_^ »

Scottish_Kiwi wrote:Well i think you have answered your own question, the limit is 30
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Hello GreyWing,

I believe the age limit is now 32 and up to 35 with previous military experience, although there are exceptions. As you are well below this you are fine. I am 30 and was training for a selection weekend that took place at the end of Oct. Unfortunately I too was lucky enough to get a freak injury whilst training so will be looking to do selection at some stage next year.

There are probably others on here that are already either in training or are current or ex-reservists that may give their views, but from a potential recruits perspective it is well worth considering. I’m sure most would agree.

All the best
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

When I was in holding troop at RMR Henely there was a 38 year old and a 35 year old in the troop, they just said as long as you get a good PJFA score and keep up on the selection weekend they let you join, I think one had previous experience in the forces though. They are both well into phase one now.

RMR Henley is about 30 miles away from me, and is a pretty gammy journey because you have to get the train to Reading, then on a train to Twyford and then finally on a train to Henely.
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

[quote="letsrole"]When I was in holding troop at RMR Henely there was a 38 year old and a 35 year old in the troop, they just said as long as you get a good PJFA score and keep up on the selection weekend they let you join, I think one had previous experience in the forces though. They are both well into phase one now.

Hello Letsrole, I guess this was what I was trying to say with exceptions. In the troop I was in there were a couple of guys that were 33 and one that was 36. I'm sure they all had past experience though. I know Henley well, from Wokingham originally. Agree a bit of a mare to get to. Have been told the facilities at Henley are pretty good though? Where are you in the process?

Cheers
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Not in the process any more, I'm at uni and joined the Oxford OTC. Not in the process because Iv got reoccurring tonsillitis, which basically means every time I go for a run or pretty much do any physical activity I get tonsillitis (hence joining the OTC lol), they are coming out in Easter though (tonsils that is). But when I was in the process I was in holding troop ready for the selection weekend. I'm hoping now to stay in the OTC for my three years then get a TA commission, then after a few years of that I'm going to try for an RMR commission.

So its either TA commission then RMR in like 5 years or jack the OTC after my tonsils come out and join the RMR as a nod (which Id love to do) but Henley is an absolute bitch to get to. Your right about the facilities at Henley though, they are class.

Where are you in the process? How far have you been with the RMR in the past?
Beowulf

Post by Beowulf »

Hello mate, I joined holding troop at RMR London in Feb this year, did all the admin pre-joining tests, medical ect and was all set for the Oct Selection. One month before the weekend I found out that I had a stress fracture in the femoral neck of my left leg. Total bastard I can tell you, a proper weird one to get!

Keeping the phys up though (no running obviously) and even went down to RMR Bristol to see what the score is there. They have a selection weekend in March. Quite tempted to bosh it over there each week to do Phase 1 then hopefully slot back into London at some stage. Will have to see how the injury pans out.

Know what you mean re tonsillitis, I get it often. Got it on the last day of my holiday, eight hour flight with tonsillitis was officially the nastiest day of my life!

Good luck with whatever you decide and if you go down the RMR route may see you around one day. For info the next selection for the London dets is July.

All the best mate.
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

Yeah I was thinking about Bristol RMR aswell, as its just a striaght train from Oxford. Went to an open evening there it was good, nice gym! Also went to a open evening in Newcastle RMR (was just passing and thought why not! lol) they have got the biggest gym I have ever seen, no joke.

Honestly I dont think I will join in the next intake for London or Bristol as Iv got lots going on in my course (placement years etc) so I will probably man it in my 4th year.

Good luck for you in whatever you decide aswell.
Foxtricks

Post by Foxtricks »

JOIN!!!

Foxtricks........
halford

Post by halford »

alrite mate,

you have nothing to worry about. Troop 1/06 is the recruit troop currently going through training with RMR Merseyside and you would not be out of place at all due to your age.

there is one 17yo, about 3 18yo, 2 19yo, a few 20-22 yo, lots of 24-28 yo a 32yo and even a 37yo.

as everyone has said, as long as you are fit, the only person who can make your age an issue is you. go for it. best of luck.

H
GreyWing

Post by GreyWing »

Cheers for your help guys, I've been in contact with the Tyne det, and got a chance to go up and see them on Tuesday 5th and even better than that they can send me on to Leeds when it opens in Spring 07, which is 20 miles away.

So yep, going to get back in training for that one, cheers again for your help guys.

GreyWing
Chester

Post by Chester »

halford wrote:Troop 1/06 is the recruit troop currently going through training with RMR Merseyside and you would not be out of place at all due to your age.
I was 'ahem' an older gentleman attached to LivDet a while back.... If you've got the fitness, got the Commando spirit and not a total biff you'll be alright.

Alhough LivDet IMO isn't the same place it was..... Great bunch of lads but it was better when it was in Birkenhead on Vittoria Dock.
[color=white].[/color]
When not awake, I am often found asleep
Alarkhertrape

Re joining rmr

Post by Alarkhertrape »

Its fine to be a polie officer and in the RMR. most public sector jobs are very good at looking after reservists so you should find youll get extra paid leave for training, etc. We have one trained rank in our det who has now joined the police and is going through his police training. Hes not finidng it a problem in terms of time committments, etc. but I guess hes doing it the other way round to you has his Green lid already then joining the police.
joyce256

Post by joyce256 »

:D