Share This Page:

Question

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
Iron Butterfly

Question

Post by Iron Butterfly »

My boyfriend wants to join the Royal Marines as a Reserve so that he can both follow his dream of joining the armed forces and we can continue our relationship as we plan to start a family together. The question I have is this - what job would he be able to have and hold down if he has to go off for training or whatever every so often? Which employer would keep him on? Are there any companies out there that specifically employ Royal Marine Reserves knowing that their commitment requires them to go off every so often? I'm worried that if there is no solution to this, he may decide to join the force full time which would mean our relationship would probably have to end.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Yerrrrs :-?
Probably would :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Doc

Post by Doc »

But there is hope, if he does join up and your relationship goes Pete Tong, Im single :P (unless your a minger that is :cry: )

Seriously though, most companies acknowledge reserve service and there is an act of parliment that says no-one called up from the reserves can lose their job when they are away, and because they have to go away. Reserve service also has benefits to companies in keeping the workforce fit and increasing their confidence etc etc.

I think the worse thing for you is him working all week and then him working weekends aswell, but you'll be fine. Im sure Skiffle will add to this in a more constructive way as he is RMR and married with 14 kids 2 hamsters and a violin.

Doc
Scottish Thistle

Post by Scottish Thistle »

Doc wrote:I think the worse thing for you is him working all week and then him working weekends aswell, but you'll be fine. Im sure Skiffle will add to this in a more constructive way as he is RMR and married with 14 kids 2 hamsters and a violin.

Doc
Being the wife of the hamster owner mentioned above, I can assure you that you'll be able to keep your relationship going if and when he joins the RMR. :D

He's currently on the training team punishing, I mean looking after, the new recruits and they are away every second weekend as well as one evening a week. Obviously at the end of training he'd need to spend a couple of weeks at CTC. Once he has earned his green lid, the level of commitment he puts in is up to him and it's just a case of balancing family life with RMR life.

As a girlfriend, you'll learn to realise that him being away a few weekends is nothing compared to wives who have to deal with their husbands being away for 6 months at a time.

I'm sure you'll both get through it if it's what he decides to do and it'll be rewarding for both you and your boyfriend.

I'll have himself reply to this tonight from his point of view but in the meantime, feel free to PM me if there's anything specific you want to know.
Live well - laugh often - love much