Share This Page:

Jobs...

Discussions about the Royal Marines Reserve.
wargasm

Jobs...

Post by wargasm »

Hi guys, my first post so how-do to you all.

Bit of a strange question this but I'll throw it in anyway - what careers do you think are good accompaniments to the RMR? I have not yet joined but wish to and would like a very fulfilling reserve career. For various reasons I am not going regular but want to get the most out of it that I can. I am a graduate so most avenues are open to me... I was thinking of maybe teaching (def interest).

I guess a bit much asking you to decide my life for me but good fun for you anyway! Ever met someone in the RMR and thought wow, what a perfect job?
Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
Doc

Post by Doc »

Welcome aboard Wargasm.

Dont know the answer to your question, but we have a few RMR lads on here and once they have stopped filming their latest film (Granny Gangbang) Im sure they'll post some advice. They may even offer you a job :o

:lol: :lol:

Doc
wargasm

Post by wargasm »

Thanks Doc, I'm not opposed to bit of 'acting'..!
Skiffle

Post by Skiffle »

Are you asking 'What civvy jobs allow you the best opportunities to get the most time to keep up with the RMR?'

If so, the answer will depend on the employer. I have had one employer in the aircraft industry that allowed me an extra week at a pay rate made up by employer (my RMR rate plus whats needed to bring it up to my civvy rate by my employer).

But on the other hand, my current employer expects me to do it in my own holiday time or take unpaid leave (subject to my employers discretion).

Every employer is different but most do respect what you do. The majority of the time my work and RMR time do not intefere with each other.

Employers do now have to recognise that personel have the right to do reserve work if they wish. And to protect both the employer and employees rights there is the Reserve Forces Act 1996 which gives each their rights during call up.

The other thing which has recently come to the fore is SABRE, a unit set up to help liase with employers as to benefits of employing reservists and to help reservists who are discriminated against by their employers.

I myself am employed as an engineer and have been a reservist since I first started work as an apprentice. Only one employer had problems with this. But he was a dick of an ex-para (not all are I might add 8) ) who bought himself out at his wife's say so and discretely persecuted me through his managerial position. He couldn't understand why I wanted to be a Commando reservist.

Every employer I have had has known about my reservist committments and none have had any problems with my work committment, but this has only been me using my holiday to do reservist work. Weekends have never been a problem as I have never done shift work that interferes.

I have encountered many diffrent occupations of other oppos and reservist in my 8 years in the reserves. From BA chief pilots (on £100,000 salaries), engineers, policemen, fire fighters, students, doctors, buliders, accountants, game keepers, ex RM regulars just wanting a hobby, shop assistants, RMR lads who only do RMR work and no civvy job and even teachers.

Providing you and your employer are able to communicate about your committments, you can advise your employer with sufficent advance that cover maybe required (e.g. supply teacher) then your employer cannot stop you from using your holiday in the way you want. Anything else is down to how much you can commit to and what, if anything extra, your employer can allow you to do.

One of the main things with RMR is the level of committment required just to get through RMR recruit training is high (two weekends a month, own time to increase physical training levels and the two main recruit courses of 14 days long). Some jobs do not tend to suit this sort of level.

If there is a job you want to do then do it. If you want the RMR badly enough then you will find a way of doing it. If you want the job more, then RMR can wait or be left in your head as a dying dream. Or if you really want a Green lid badly enougth then go regular.

At the end of the day, to me and all reservists, family job and then reservist is the main priorities. I never put aside my family for it, it always comes second to my job as it's my families main income provision. When these two are happy, then RMR becomes a fantastic fulfilling time of yomping till your threaders, stopping for a quick wet and yomping till your threaders. All in the name of sadistic fun, mind :D
Chaos, Disorder, Destruction.....My work here is done!

"The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been. --- Alan Ashley Pitt"

Why can't you accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.
wargasm

Post by wargasm »

Cheers Skiffle, great info - I'll come back and tell you what I've become!