Share This Page:

Afirmative Action Or Internment?

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Wholley

Afirmative Action Or Internment?

Post by Wholley »

Things are going wildly wrong here.
Democrat's in favor of internment for people with Mid-east backgrounds?
Some republicans feel the same way.
The last president to sign into law an internment order was FDR.
Blatantly unfair to Japanese Americans the only way he could do it was by executive order.
I'm hearing all the usual suspects screaming for the Rag heads to be locked up.Rush,Fox News etc.
Sorry,we did this to ourselves,lax border control,ineffective visa requirments and a"Let em all in policy"which has boomeranged to the point that we no longer know just who is here.
"Bring us your poor"just dosen't work anymore,Ellis Island is a museum.
Just don't let them in,has to be cheaper than banging them up once their here.
How do I know I'm going to hear from California shortly?
:P
Wholley.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Elections bring out the slime in all parties and candidates. They'll say whatever they think they need to say in order to get into that lovely office, with the staff and cars, and flights and oh my god I'm going to apply.

Vote El Prez, for that magnanimous, devil may care attitude to same sex marriage, race, and religion. Press the interactive Red button now, and follow the very simple on screen instructions. You know you want to; don't you. After all, Mangle knows where you live.
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

El Presidtential candidateness.
To run currently you would have to supply your own slime.
Aforementioned is rationed tightly as the incumbent and his challenger get first dib's.Slime importation is also heavily regulated so that the likes of Tom Daschle and Ted Kennedy don't get anymore than they already have.Due to recent improvements in my security"Situation"I no longer fear Mangle(I'm going to regret that,I know)
It don't really know where I live,right?RIGHT?
Gulp. :o
Wholley.
El Prez

Post by El Prez »

Be afraid, be very afraid......... 8)
You should talk to somebody who gives a f**k.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v77/Robiz/movie_star_wars_yoda.gif[/img]
El Presidente
snyder

Re: Afirmative Action Or Internment?

Post by snyder »

wholley wrote:Things are going wildly wrong here.
This is the first I've heard of it. Got a link?
[i]To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward; any idea of moderation was just another attempt to disguise one's unmanly character; ability to understand the question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action; fanatical enthusiasm was the mark of a real man -- Thucydides[/i]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Snyder ,
Yep Fox News online ,suprised me too.
Wholley.
snyder

Post by snyder »

Can you post a link? I searched on Fox News and didn't find anything to indicate that a Democrat has supported the idea of putting Muslims in concentration camps. The only reference I could find was to a right-wing Republican who thinks it was o.k. to put the Japanese in camps during WW2 and supports the "profiling" of Muslims now.
[i]To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward; any idea of moderation was just another attempt to disguise one's unmanly character; ability to understand the question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action; fanatical enthusiasm was the mark of a real man -- Thucydides[/i]
ELP

Post by ELP »

Profiling is good. If it looks like a duck, acts like a duck, its a duck. Everyone of middle eastern desent coming off of an airplane from a foreign country, needs to be screened. Period. Of course that offends some people. So what. Of course in order to institute that, a whole menu of things would have to be done to gain better security:

1. Withdraw from the terrorist supporting U.N. Of course pull out of NATO also.

2. Term limits on the U.S. congress ( our biggest security threat ).

3. Pull troops from Europe and Japan and Korea.

4. Buff up the Border Patrol and INS. Revet everyone in that organization.

5. Purge the State Department by downsizing retiring and firing most of the senior people. Our second biggest threat after congress people that have been in too long.

6. Disband all political contributions

7. Disband all congressional lobbiests.

8. Disband all foreign aid, foriegn military aid, foreign military sales.

This does not mean isolationism. We would still have dialogue with all countries.
[b]ELP[/b]

[img]http://www.defrep.org/graphics/cell.jpg[/img]
Redhand

Post by Redhand »

I like how you think.

I personally think the USA would be a much better country if it returned to its roots as a true republic.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

So far,so good?
The dems made fools of themselves at the DNC.
They concentrated only on the"Gimme Generation"
Gimme free health care,Gimme free education,Gimme free retirement benefits.
Mr.Kerry.."Of course it will be free,right after I raise your taxes to pay for it"
Of course Kerry and Edwards didn't raise our healthcare costs by sueing every Doctor and healthcare system in sight just to make themselves millionaires.
HEERRumph.
Wholley.
:evil:
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Just a few musings, here, I'm not going to link articles or anything.
Re: the "Me" generation, which one are we talking about? Reason for me to ask is that I generally understood Baby Boomers (so-called) were perceived as such. Yet, people in their twenties, for who marketers are trying to find a name (I heard them called the Echo generation. Why? Because they drive Toyota Echo(es)? I've no idea) have been described as even more self-centered.
The apple in their parents' eyes, coming up in a time of children worship.

Interestingly, on the political end, polls have consistently shown young folks in the US to be firmly behind the invasion of Iraq. Older people weren't so swayed.
What's the disconnect?

Maybe the draft had something to do with it, I don't know. But it'd be interesting to see what effect a reinstatement of the draft would have on the Echo(es)' stance on US foreign policy. I don't think we're close to that, however.
The fact is, we have a definite problem with critical thinking, with analytical thinking in this country. I'll get to the original topic of discussion in a bit.
I think I'll use the company I used to work for until two weeks ago as an example. First, one of the main criticisms aimed at Bush's foreign policy has been decisions based on 'beliefs': that US troops would be welcome as liberators, that Iraq could be 'freed' and secured with less than 200.000 US troops and 30.000 allies, that Saddam Hussein HAD those weapons, etc.
Call it wishful thinking, unwarranted optimism, whatever.
My point is American business to an extent suffers from the same thing.
The company I worked for in financial services managed a little over $1 trillion in assets as of the end of 2000.
They (particularly the CEO) decided to expand by purchasing companies established in other markets. This at a time when the so-called internet bubble was already busting.
They continued this 'strategy' until late last year, and at very great cost.
Some of the newly acquired companies have had to be sold at a loss, and revenues dropped by 80% in just one year.
So the company is now 'restructuring' itself, the CEO, who until last year kept saying the economy was picking up steam and going strong while selling his stock like a madman, has now been fired.

Culture...
It's a word that's commonly used in business, the corporate culture, the culture of a company, their values...
Well as you know, when a Western employee has to train his/her replacement from India or China, whatever, he/she has to take mandatory 'cultural sensitivity' classes to ease the transition.
I'm not sure why: those guys drink beer in titty bars just like we do, but anyway...
Take two companies, an up and coming 25 year old company and an older, well established 150 year old company on either coast of the US.
The 25 year old company purchases the older company and proceeds to merge their culture by having the board members play a life-size game of hopscotch cum monopoly, wearing colored shirts as if on a playground in preschool.
Ain't this fun? A lot of them didn't think so, and those who didn't quit started working at separating the two. Right off the bat.

Innovation...
With all those security concerns, student visas are a very long and difficult process. If, say, we lose 100.000 potential students to another less restrictive country, the next Big Idea(s) will be lost to us.
That's part of the economic dimension of the War on Terror (so-called).
Our advantage is crumbling.

The bottom line is I think we (collectively in the US) either cannot or resist seeing issues and planning for them well before we're bitten by them. The economy depends on the movement of money.
Contrary to other countries were people tend to hoard their money, Americans believe that circulating it creates wealth. Which it does, but for a handful only.

That's how we 'missed' Al Qaeda's true threat. Until it grew from a $50 million to a $50 billion threat, we didn't truly see it.
As for politicos, they don't see much past the November 2 election. Hell that's pretty much all they've been really working on for the last two years.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Some musing's of my own.
I think the"Corporate Culture"That our folks grew up with has almost gone.
No more career development,no structured path,no life long commitment or loyalty to one company.
US corporations and to a lesser extent UK companies have bought this upon themselves by relying on the bean counters and the bottom line.
The result is a middle management nightmare whereby experience goes by the board and results(however short term)And compensation rule.
A little like our politico's our corporations no longer see the big picture
and so hire and fire without any thought for the long term.
Iv'e been lucky in this respect having either worked for myself or within an organisation that does not feel threatened by leadership or inovation.
Structure is what we are losing and when we finally lose it completely it'll be a sad day for the US and the UK.
OOOEERR,some really big words there.
Off me soap box by numbers.
Three Four,
Fell over again,
Oh Well back to me Viz then.
Wholley.
:o