Share This Page:

Thatcher

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
may18

Thatcher

Post by may18 »

Its 25 years today since thatcher came to power, her 11 years
in power set to only be surpassed by blair.

So, for those who remember her, was she good, or bad for
britain?.

And how would you compare her style to blairs?. Given both are
so successful in elections.
Spannerman

Post by Spannerman »

Maggies only climb down and let down was the Poll Tax, she definitely got that one wrong, in contrast I think the only thing that B Liar has got right is the economy and that can be argued as being inherited by the Tories.

# 10 waiter to Maggie at a cabinet dinner 'What would you like for Christmas Dinner?.

Maggie, 'Turkey'

# 10 waiter 'and what about the vegetables?'

Maggie, 'They will have turkey too!'

She could have been my CSM anyday of the week.........
may18

Post by may18 »

I remember most of her office

and think her role in the cold war is largely forgotten, but that she had
genuine influence with reagen and gorbachev.

The poll tax helped kill her from within her party .

But it was europe, her fear of an EU superstate and general
distrust of the EU that caused the backstabbing imgo (anyone
else remember her "give us our money back" speech to the eec?
Tab

Post by Tab »

There is a lot talk about the poll tax, now I thought it was a good idea. It made every layabout responsible for there own tax instead of sponging of their parents. Why should a single old pensioner on a fixed income pay the same ammount as chap with house full of grown up children all earning and driving cars, and moaning all the time for the council to do more for them. Now if the Council would run it's affairs properly then there was no trouble. When this tax first came in I lived in London [Wandsworth] and we did not have to pay any thing in tax for many tears.
Next door in Lambeth which was a similar sort of Borough they had the same grants and becuse of mismanagement had a poll tax of over a thousand pounds per year. Now instead of blaming their councils every one blamed Maggie. One other thing would we have fought for the Falklands if Maggie had not been there, I think not. She may not have been perfect but she had more drive and balls than most politicians
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
may18

Post by may18 »

No way in hell we would fight for the falklands now imho

blair is doing his damndest to give away gibraltar without a fight.

Do you think falklands was right thing to to i take it?.
Sully

Post by Sully »

Bad, without a doubt. The social engineering carried out by her government has changed the culture of this country into an I'm alright Jack, me, me, me feeble excuse for a nation. Her achievements can be summed up in her own words "there is no such thing as society". Perhaps her biggest achievement is the inspiration for her true heir - Tony Blair.
Per Flank, Per Tank

Post by Guest »

Tab wrote:When this tax first came in I lived in London [Wandsworth] and we did not have to pay any thing in tax for many tears.
I didn`t think inmates payed for anything Tab!! :D

She may not have been perfect but she had more drive and balls than most politicians
:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
well said Tab, pity she`s going to seed, i think that Michael Howard could benefit from some advice from her