Share This Page:

Globalization

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Whitey

Globalization

Post by Whitey »

What do you all think about it?
I'm not too enthusiastic about it. If we refused to play would it still take place.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

I think it forces individuals to abandon nationality (and the culural heritage implied) as a criteria for self-definition, in favor of economic role and status determined by skillsets.
I now have many colleagues in India, and interact with them more than I do with my local grocer or mechanic.
I also interact more with some folks on this UK military board than I do with some people who work next to me.
Arthur C. Clarke has predicted than in a few years, time zones will be abolished in favor of Zulu time, as a way to improve productivity.
In conversations with immigrants here in the states, we used to joke about Americans' first question when they meet someone:
"Where are you from?" being replaced by "what do you do?"

If we were to use some kind of thermal imaging technology to map the world's economic hot spots, I think we'd see a few red zones isolated in a 'sea' of blue, depressed and mostly uninhabited areas. As such, Silicon Valley may seem to have more in common with a strip of China's North Coast, for instance, than with Great Plains New York. And to a Silicon Valley denizen, the Blue Ridge mountains might as well be on Mars.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Globalisation, well the world is shrinking fast, since the introduction of the jumbo jet cheap travel has made the whole world a person play ground, even back in the 1970's we found that we could get spare parts for our equipment from America in about 12 hours, no need to hold big stores of it any more, just a Telex and it was done. My brother in law ordered lobster from Maine for the restaurant, he could get fresh strawberries and any thing else a person wanted for a special meal with 24 hours notice. Large companies with the money can set up business any part of the world and with video conferences can be run by a Head Office 8,000 miles away as if it was just down the road. At one time it was expensive for make an overseas telephone call, now the cost is such, massive call centres can be set up on the side world and you are connected in a flash and the call is that clear it could be in the next room. Whether you like it or not Globalisation is here and here to stay.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

What do you all think about it?
I don't think that it really matters what we think about it, it is going to happen. As we speak there is a meeting of the OAS taking place in Mexico. Each of the leaders are trying to make sure that such agreements are not going to be detremental to their respective countries. When push comes to shove, at the end of the day it will be the international corporations which will make the final decision, based on what is best for them.

As Tab has said, communications and travel are such today, that everything can be monitered from anywhere in the world, or from space for that matter.

Aye - Andy. :fadein:
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

So I guess we aren't voting to fight it?
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

I'm afraid it's not even on the ballot.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Another question ought to be "how do we ride the wave?"
Used to be many moons ago, a man learned his trade and mastered it, passing his skills to his apprentices, and all that good quaint BS.
Now, if you're 40+, with degree(s) and an extensive resume, you still gotta learn new things and master new skills to survive.

Either that or know how to play the game: it's still played by people and human nature doesn't change overnight.

Oh, and always keep looking ahead. :wink:
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

See what I mean Frank, that is too hard. I'd rather fight, but fighting alone is boring, no fun and makes you feel like a looser.
Used to a degree got you something, not so as much anymore. We need to go back to farming, having several wives and telling the guvamint to go screw themselves.
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Advice to the younger crowd: learn all you can about UNIX. Especially combined with expertise in windows, that'll help you greatly.

As for me, I can't wait for retirement... On my terms, hopefully...

:wink: :D
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

So you think Resistance is futile? I guess it being Robet E. Lee's birthday and all and he being an anti-globalist and my great grandfather x2 fighting along side him sparked the individual rights nerve in me.

God Bless the South.