Share This Page:

Royal wedding hell. Invitation to a republican revolution!

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Wholley

Re: Royal wedding hell. Invitation to a republican revolutio

Post by Wholley »

Soap box time again Peter I see.
I too am a Republican although I don't take the Royal Family as seriously as you do.
Bunch of inbred hooray Henrys and Henriettas if you want my opinion.
My only problem with this whole deal is that most of it will be paid for with funds from the"Privy Purse"unlike Brenda's marraige to Phil the Greek which the House of Hanover coughed for.
What really embarasses me is my adoptive country lapping all this nonesense up.
ABC,CBS and NBC are almost twenty four seven with it.
1776 anyone?
Or maybe 1812. 8)
owdun

Post by owdun »

Get rid,and replace with what? Some misbegotten political has been,such as the last two,who are also Republicans from over the border,but have not the guts to say so.I'm afraid your rabble rousing will fail to ignite the general public, who are quite happy with the status quo,and really pissed off with ALL politicians.The question of who pays for the Royal family is always a favourite bone of contention with republicans,they ignore the facts of history,and the reasons for the Civil List,so that they can ignore the millions that acrue to the Treasury from the Crown Lands,far more than is paid out via the Civil list.They then come out with the old Commie cry,"All property is Theft"which usually shows their true colours.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Just playing devils advocate.If they don't want to be wound up they should take the key out of their backs :D
Last time a King was overthrown the English ended up with a dictator thinly disguised as a 'Parliamentarian'
I think my fellow Americans have a neat way of disposing of unwanted presidents.
Get the CIA to assassinate them and blame it on the mafia 8)
ofens

Post by ofens »

You are invited to disrespect the forthcoming wedding of Prince William to Kate Middleton
You are invited to get f***ed.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

ofens wrote:
You are invited to get f***ed.
Have a rough night did we?
Just 'cause your hung over there's no need to take it out on our skirt wearing,haggis eating heathen brothers up north :D :drinking:
ofens

Post by ofens »

Well this is just extremely rude and unwelcome.
Normally I enjoy reading Peter's posts because they are interesting, even if I don't always agree with what he's saying.
But this is not acceptable to me, and I'm not afraid to say it.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

My point,
Used to be posts like this were treated light-heartedly and answered in that manner.
Seems people get bent out of shape at the slightest provocation recently. As someone else has mentioned the board has become Politicized which is not really the reason we are here.
I don't really care either way on the subject but I do about the way it's being answered.
Getting F**ked is only a short term remedy for most ailments and has few long term benefits.
You may also consider the bitiness factor in some of Peter's posts.
Lets try and keep a sense of humor can we?

King Solomon :wink:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

As you were with all the quotes.
I'm not so senile that I don't remember what I have written.
As to the rest,give me a little time to think.
Not a subject I care too much about,my heart and mind are in Alabama right now.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Not on my watch!
Sisyphus

Re: The serious danger that royals pose to republics

Post by Sisyphus »

Peter Dow wrote: Also kingdoms make for poor, weak, unreliable allies to republics.

Specifically, the UK being a kingdom, is not as good, strong, reliable an ally for the US republic as British republics (a British republic with republics for the home nations as well - a Scottish republic, an English republic, a Welsh republic and either a republic for Northern Ireland or combining the North with the republic in the south of Ireland to make one repubic for the whole of Ireland) could and I believe would be.

So if you take the defence of republican USA seriously, then take getting the best allies for the USA possible seriously.
This is incoherent, rambling and makes no sense whatever. Or maybe the United Kingdom wasn't really an ally of the US in WWII?? And which lapdog Prime Minister blindly followed Bush into a disastrous war as, pretty much, the US's only ally?
Tab

Post by Tab »

If we get rid of the Royals then we would wind up with people Tony Blair and his other half doing the same thing as the Royals and rubbing our noses in it even further. Who would travel from the other side of the world to watch a British Prime minister riding in the state coach to open Parliament. Would Buck House become the Prime Minister residence and Windsor Castle his weekend pad. The thought of changing what we have to what we might get makes me cringe.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Yo Tab!

Right on Bro! (Is that cool enough to impress the Rebs - er republicans?)

We all bemoan the lack of decent apprenticeships. Is there anyone who's had an apprenticeship as long as Charlie's 62 years?