Share This Page:

Homosexuality in the military - Opinions or experiences

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
AIRBUS

Post by AIRBUS »

rikkles22 wrote:There is a website called Proud2serve which acts as a support group for LGBT in the army. Best to get in touch with them as they prolly know more than anyone else about this issue. :)

P2S acts as a support site for all 3 services!

Or you could of course ask a serving gay soldier .....

And there followed a stunned silence !
I have never made a secret of my sexuality but there again have never made a fuss of it either ......
Last edited by AIRBUS on Mon 21 Dec, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
So you want peace ? Freedom ?
never together
rikkles22

Post by rikkles22 »

AIRBUS wrote:

P2S acts as a support site for all 3 services!

Or you could of course ask a serving gay soldier .....
Yep you're right. Whoops. Post edited.
proud2serve

proud2serve.net

Post by proud2serve »

rikkles22 wrote:There is a website called Proud2serve which acts as a support group for LGBT in the Armed Forces. Best to get in touch with them as they prolly know more than anyone else about this issue. :)
The URL is http://www.proud2serve.net/ and there is also a forum with over 1100 members, predominantly current serving HM Armed Forces, at http://www.proud2serve.net/public

The site and forum are there to serve as a resource to the entire military community including family members.

Mods: I hope I haven't breached forum policy by posting the link, but it seems to be in keeping with the topic. Please edit if required.
debohun

Re: Homosexuality in the military - Opinions or experiences

Post by debohun »

One can only hope that the days when one of Queen Victoria's most succesful Imperialst Scottish General ''Fighting Hector McDonald shot himself on the floor of a Paris, France, Hotel because he was about to be ''outed'' as a gay man in the 1890's have gone forever.
One of Great Britain's most daring and effective Special Operations agents in Occupied France was openly homosexual and indeed used an affair with a Gay Werhmact officer as a cover for his true identity(how clever was that?''
I've fogotten his name but he figures in books on S.O.E. AGENTS in France-he was so openly gay that S.O.E. that the people in British intelligence must have known or certainly guessed his sexual orientation but S.O.E. bosses (righlty) took the view that because he did such a good job as an agent they didn't give a dash whether he spent his recreational time in the arms of Hans, Pierre or Marcel in what used to be called ''compromising positions.''
Again, Plato the Greek philospher, claimed in his ''Symposium'' that the most efficent army would be one compsed of 300 homosexuals because they would fight for each other fiiercly given that many of them would be lovers.
It's an idea whose idea is yet to come-maybe given the decriminalistion of homosexuality there is a case for trying it out-I mean if the Royal WEST KENT REGIMENT (IF THEY STILL EXIST) CHOSE MEN ON THE geographical basis odf living in Kent and environs why not an exclusively gay British Army Regiment who could be called ''THE PINK HOWARDS -as opposed to the 'Green Howards''. ?
And as an empiiricist who believes that nothing is valid until proven by experience would be critics would have to hold their peace until it was tried-because in a British context it never has,
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

I have known and served with a bloke in the Paras who was open about his sexuality. He was gay. Apart from a bit of light hearted p*ss taking, which i may add was dished out by both parties, no one cared. I didnt. We were more amused at his handle bar 70's tash to be honset. He was very good at his job. Was also a mercenary in Bosnia, but thats another story. Point is if you act appropriately and proffessionally in any line of work, what you do away from it is entirely your business. In my experience no one gave a t*ss.
'Every man an Emperor'
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

One of the guys I work with recently tried to come out in the bar at a mess function - he was most disappointed that nobody actually cared...
:D
He told me 3 times at least!
(Slightly disturbed when he told me that if my OH was gay then he would...)
:o
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours