Share This Page:

What's your opinion now Obama is president?

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Marina

Post by Marina »

Obama's really good on the dancefloor especially to Motown ! :D

Seriously, he gave a universal speech and he seemed sincere in his desire that he will listen other countries with their grievances.
He won't be able to solve the Middle East overnight, at least he is willing to build a bridge to find some common ground !
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Stumbled over the words a tad though didn't he.....

Let's give the guy a chance, but just don't expect TOO much from the fella..... After all, Zimbabwe's had a black President for yonks and he's been rubbish....

Perhaps we should concentrate on his Irish roots rather than the colour of his skin.... It seems the Oirish are getting fully behoind this Oirish-American "....from fenian to Kenyan, it's the American way" indeed .... :D

Apparently there's no-one as Oirish as Barack O'Bama 8)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EADUQWKoVek
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Closing Git-mo,Obamas first BIG mistake

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090123/ap_ ... n_al_qaida

The first of many I'm sure.
He appears to think that treating terrorists as criminals and putting them through a Federal trial will make us look as though we have the moral high ground.
If eventually convicted they will spend the rest of their lives in a Federal penitentiary even with no hope of parole they will live better lives than in their own countries(The Federal Government has no death penalty)
Guess who pay's for that? :evil:
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

Not from usa but from what i heard it wasnt obama who stumbled his lines, it was the guy who was reading them out first. obama corrected him.
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
Basic Skills - 28th january
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
-------------------------------------------
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Not that your last has anything to do with my post but the"Guy"you mentioned is John Roberts,Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of the United States,not one to stumble over his words.
Don't believe everything you get from the BBC.
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

I got it from watching and listening to his oath live.. -.-
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Then you should have been aware that it was Obama who stumbled.
Watch it again.
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

...Barack Obama took the oath of office and became the 44th president of the United States of America.

The proceedings, however, did not go as smoothly as planned.

As Joe Biden completed his oath and a moving performance of a unique John Williams piece completed. Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, John Roberts, prepared to administer the oath of office to senator Obama. With his left hand on a bible last used by Abraham Lincoln and his right hand in the air, Obama repeated after Roberts' recital of the presidential oath:

"I, Barack Obama, do solemnly swear..."

Then, though, something went wrong. The incoming president stumbled over his words, appearing to have difficulty repeating the oath. With hundreds of millions of people looking on, and standing opposite the highest judicial officer in the country, Obama appeared to forget his lines.

Did he really forget his lines, though, or was some other factor in play?

Apparently, there was a misstep on the part of Chief Justice Roberts, not Obama, that caused this presidential blunder.

Roberts, it appears, botched the delivery of the oath by saying, "that I will execute the office of President of the United States faithfully." Despite its utterance by the highest ranking judge currently serving on the Supreme Court, this line wasn't quite in keeping with tradition... or the Constitution.

Article II, Section I of the United States Constitution sets forth the official Presidential Oath as: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."
Like Eric Morecombe playing the piano.... the words were all there, just not necessarily in the right order. :lol:

It was Obama realising that Roberts had made a mistake. Must admit, I thought it was Obama, but seems he was on the ball.

The Youtube clips clearly show that Obama says (after Roberts has cocked it up) "That I will execute....." then pauses , waits for Roberts to try and correct it, gives a smile and nod of the head as if to say "C'mon you cnut... say it properly or I WILL execute!" Then they both fek it up.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyqulx03QE

They've since done another formal 'ceremony' using the words in the proper order, just in case there was some pedant out there saying "He ain't President as he hasn't said the Oath as stated in the Constitution."
Last edited by sportbilly42 on Sat 24 Jan, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

8) see my skills there :P didn't he redo it in privacy? even though messing up those lines doesn't stop him being president. as he was president before the oath was even taken :]
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Wholley wrote:Closing Git-mo,Obamas first BIG mistake
If eventually convicted they will spend the rest of their lives in a Federal penitentiary even with no hope of parole they will live better lives than in their own countries(The Federal Government has no death penalty)
Guess who pay's for that? :evil:
Wholley,

I think the big mistake was setting up Guantanamo, with no real plan about what to do once they had [or, at least, it seems that way]. Did the Bush administration have a schedule/plan for the future? After all this time, it seems impossible to hold any sort of trial based on 'evidence', if they've got any that is?

A bit like the plan to 'liberate' Iraq - with no real plan about what to do once Sadaam was gone. :(
maunder123

Post by maunder123 »

I would back that guantanamo being closed was a bad mistake
B.a.r.b - passed - 68
Medical - in process
regiment choice - reme
trade - vehicle mechanic
MSI64

Post by MSI64 »

Gitmo closing just means you can ship prisoners off somewhere else!!
troops out by 2010 firstly is impossible and secondly stupid to say the least, afghanistan isnt able to hold itself together yet!

The guy reminds me of Tony Blair when he first came in all smiles and empty words.

How many people in the States voted him in for his policies rather than his colour????? Not many Im guessing.
Too much hype over a normal event
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Siysphus.
No one expected the 9/11 attacks and the Bush administration could have reacted in a far worse way.He/They did not thankfully as turning a desert into an empty desert is not the way to win friends and influence people.
Closing Guantanamo will show a weakness on the part of the new administration,a willingness to talk to terrorists and allow them to get away with a slap on the wrist.
Look what happened in NI.
Gerry Adams in Parliament.
I rest my case M'lud.
Obi Wan Kenobi

Post by Obi Wan Kenobi »

Close Guantanamo? No problem.

The 'guests' should be released, turfed out the gate and left to their own devices. No clothes, money, passports, documents, food etc. The administration/authorities close the place down, lock it all up and fly away. Job done.

With regard to Obama as Pres. Not much will change. Same as here. Same nonsense different wrapping. I wait, with amused interest, to be proved wrong.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Just what we need,
Cuban terrorists :o